Linked by Eugenia Loli on Fri 22nd Apr 2005 18:51 UTC
Databases In MySQL for Linux on POWER, Part 1 you will learn about the availability of MySQL Database Server for Linux. In MySQL for Linux on POWER, Part 2 develop apps for MySQL in PHP, Java, C/C++, Python, and Perl.
Order by: Score:
MySQL still has a way to go
by Joel Philip on Sat 23rd Apr 2005 01:36 UTC

woohoo, first post.

MySQL is great for web things but PostgreSQL still kicks it butt.

Python is an overlooked language that is quite powerful and simple to code. Its very lax in syntax and I like the fact that its installed on my system.

Another useless IBM add
by Perez-Gilaberte on Sat 23rd Apr 2005 11:32 UTC

MySQL running on IBM hardware, go buy IBM servers. Come on. MySQL is a total joke for anything but the simplest read-heavy applications. And don't get me started on triggers. If you want to use a FOSS RDBMS go PostgreSQL. You'll never use MySQL again.

RE: Another useless IBM add
by th on Sat 23rd Apr 2005 19:00 UTC

Useless ad? Yet another person with no clue. But let's feed to troll anyway.

First, IBM has pretty much the best support on planet and their hardware does perform well.

Secondly, MySQL is a total joke for anything but the simplest read-heavy applications. I guess you are aware that MySQL has _very_, _very_ fast SELECT- operation (PostgreSQL is a turtle compared to MySQL).

I use myself AdoDB with PHP5 to work with databases to support multiple databases. I was stunned how much slower whole app came after changing backend to PostgreSQL. Page that took 0.5secs to parse with MySQL, took 0.8 to 1 seconds when using PostgreSQL as backend (99% of queries being selects).

It's very easy to test this out yourself - you'll find out postgresql performs every single time slower than mysql in selects. It's a pure fact.

And what web-apps mostly do? That's right, *SELECT* data from DB's. But yes, currently PostgreSQL supports many neat things, however MySQL 5 brings yet again lots of stuff that's missing from 4.

On IBM's Power...
by Joao Barros on Sat 23rd Apr 2005 20:42 UTC

I recently migrated a system at work which runs RequestTracker from a frontend Dell(1750 I think) dual Xeon running Apache, qmail, clamav and spamassassim and a backend Dell 6650 Quad Xeon running MySql to an IBM OpenPower 720 4way running all of the above applications. The Quad Xeon Dell was not enough for the load on mysql, the IBM machine is running everything and the load average is ridiculous ;)

gm, nice, but
by frank on Sat 23rd Apr 2005 21:28 UTC

where is the beef ?
that MySQL can run on Linux PPC/Power ?
Well, that not a news worth.
so, again, where is the beef ?

Cheers,
Frank

This isn't news
by Ché Kristo on Sun 24th Apr 2005 07:36 UTC

Can you please leave the ads to their deignated areas, I click on them just to be nice but when they come into the supposed journalism space on OSNews I start getting pissed off.

Marketing
by Anonymous on Sun 24th Apr 2005 11:43 UTC

This is just IBM marketing (run Linux, but on our hardware please). What was ip of the submitter? Perhaps this should be shown for all submissions? It might stop these continous marketing articles keep appearing on osnews. This is nothing more than IBM asking you to buy power machines.

meh
by Ceaser on Sun 24th Apr 2005 15:10 UTC

you folks talk about running postgres over mysql. what a alugh. why would I replace OS400 with its integrated DB2 file system!! with either mysql OR postgres? that would be suicidal.

if i am running power hardware i'm running OS400. its really no comepetition.

@Ceaser
by Anonymous on Sun 24th Apr 2005 22:47 UTC

I think thats the one of the points people are trying to make, if your running power in real life your going to run OS400, not a toy wiht no proper QA like Linux.

IBM are just using Linux as a marketing tool to get their claws into people and then start charging them for services, move you to AIX (which is what they did in my place of employment) or OS400, try to sell you Websphere etc. The OSS community (well the kids in Moms basement anyway) do not seem to understand this.

OS400 rocks though, have to agree with you there. We are running it here, it doesn't go down (though neither do our Solaris or properly setup windows boxes).

RE: Anonymous (IP: ---.anonymizer.com)
by Anonymous on Mon 25th Apr 2005 02:11 UTC

What do you mean properly setup windows boxes?

How would you set up a windows box improperly so that it crashes?

Also, how would you explain IBM's new OpenPower? It doesn't run AIX.

And why do you say Linux is a toy and what makes you think it has "no proper QA"?

@ Anonymous (IP: ---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
by Anonymous on Mon 25th Apr 2005 04:21 UTC

> What do you mean properly setup windows boxes?

Boxes that are patched, uptodate, have unnecesserary services turned off, virus scanners etc on them where needed and tuned. 99% of the Windows always crashes stuff you read here is from kids in Moms basement who have never set it up properly. You have it configured properly (ie do exactly what everyone says to do with your Linux box) it works fine.

> Also, how would you explain IBM's new OpenPower?
> It doesn't run AIX.

Its PR leader to get you on the power architecture. If IBM were so serious about Linux they would just stop developing AIX - they don't and the minute the community turns on them when the realise that they have been taken for fools IBM will go straight back to AIX. Anyone who trusts them is a fool. What do you think AIX5L is? Linux Affinity or Linux please develop your apps on linux and then run your apps on AIX so we can charge you license and service fees. IBM are in this for money, and money alone. I stand by my view that the OSS community is blinkered and being taken for a ride by IBM. Kudos to them, they have managed to do what Apple and Sun could not do in getting a bunch of zealots trust a massive corporate entity. Me, I'm just interested in getting my job done and going home to my wife, so I couldn't give a shit about religious beliefs, I just want to use the best thing for the job at hand. What I do give a shit about is being treated like a fool by any company, and particuarly by a money grabbing, cynical, corporation like IBM.

Do you honestly think that IBM don't have AIX working through their virtulization engine on OpenPower? Its good PR to pretend that they don't. But I guarantee you ring one of their sales reps tomorrow and say you want for a $1/2 million order, and it will work.

> Linux is a toy and what makes you think it
> has "no proper QA"?

Strangely enough recents comments from Andrew Morton and Linus Torvalds confirm my belief that Linux does not get any proper QA. I'm sure you have read the articles, or have you buried your head in the sand like most zealots do when anything critical of Linux is said.

Anonymous (IP: ---.anonymizer.com)
by Anonymous on Tue 26th Apr 2005 03:43 UTC

> Boxes that are patched, uptodate, have unnecesserary
> services turned off, virus scanners etc on them where needed
> and tuned. 99% of the Windows always crashes stuff you read
> here is from kids in Moms basement who have never set it up
> properly. You have it configured properly (ie do exactly
> what everyone says to do with your Linux box) it works fine.

Actually, those windows boxes typically *do* go down quite a lot, because you have to reboot when doing patching.

Linux boxes don't go down even if you do have loads of crap running, not up to date, etc (not counting being hacked). It is funny how windows starts to crap itself after too much stuff is installed on it.

> Its PR leader to get you on the power architecture. If IBM

Sorry, transitioning from Linux to Linux on POWER will be easier than going from Linux on POWER to AIX on POWER.

> were so serious about Linux they would just stop
> developing AIX - they don't and the minute the community

OK I'll stoop to your level of argument: if they were so serious about AIX they would just stop developing OS/400.

[snip rambling]

> service fees. IBM are in this for money, and money alone.

Duh, of course they are. And they are not so pedantic that they will only sell IBM stuff to make money. They sell Windows, x86 systems, even itanium systems.

Do you think you have hit upon a great deep dark secret about IBM that they are in it for the money? Who would have thought, a corporation is in it for the money. You might be onto something there, Einstein.

> I stand by my view that the OSS community is blinkered and
> being taken for a ride by IBM. Kudos to them, they have
> managed to do what Apple and Sun could not do in getting
> bunch of zealots trust a massive corporate entity. Me, I'm

They submit GPLed code to the kernel. They test and audit the kernel. They sell hardware that runs the kernel. That's all I care about. I couldn't give a rat's ass if they stopped doing any of that tomorrow, they can't take anything away from me.

Oh, and another newsflash for you, Einstein. The customers IBM sell their big solutions to are *not* part of the OSS community. Idiot.

> just interested in getting my job done and going home to
> my wife, so I couldn't give a shit about religious
> beliefs, I just want to use the best thing for the job at
> hand. What I do give a shit about is being treated like
> fool by any company, and particuarly by a money grabbing,
> cynical, corporation like IBM.

Well you're getting awfully worked up about it, for someone who doesn't "give a shit". Ha ha.

> Do you honestly think that IBM don't have AIX working
> through their virtulization engine on OpenPower? Its good
> PR to pretend that they don't. But I guarantee you ring

Don't know, don't particularly care.

> one of their sales reps tomorrow and say you want for a
> $1/2 million order, and it will work.

Err yes. For a $1/2 million order. They won't sell you an OpenPower system running AIX though. What's your point?

>> Linux is a toy and what makes you think it
>> has "no proper QA"?
>
> Strangely enough recents comments from Andrew Morton and
> Linus Torvalds confirm my belief that Linux does not get
> any proper QA. I'm sure you have read the articles, or
> have you buried your head in the sand like most zealots do
> when anything critical of Linux is said.

Anyone running Linux in the enterprise is using a Novell/SUSE or RedHat Linux with proper support, and which go through proper QA and release cycles.

You are the one who sounds like a zealot. A dimwit too.