Linked by Thom Holwerda on Wed 12th Jul 2006 17:46 UTC, submitted by DigitalDame
Apple PCMag reviews iWork '06. "For word processing, the Apple iWork '06 Pages program is no match for Microsoft Word or ThinkFree Office 3.0. But it's capable, and its ability to create gorgeous documents easily is unequaled on the Mac." My take: I concur. iWork is the best tool for the job when you need to create a document you yourself will distribute physically; however, since iWork uses a closed file format only iWork users can read, distributing it electronically is fairly useless.
Permalink for comment 142624
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[2]: Closed formats
by trezzer on Thu 13th Jul 2006 14:24 UTC in reply to "RE: Closed formats"
trezzer
Member since:
2006-01-05

"With the only difference that about 1% of the computing world has Pages, whereas the other 99% has Word/Writer. So, again, which of the two makes more sense to use as a distributional format? ;) ."

Uhm, just because a huge number of people run Windows, it doesn't mean they have Word/Writer. Yes, it comes with some machines and business users are very likely to have it unless they're using a Lotus solution or similar, but home users is a different story. Microsoft Office is insanely expensive for what it does - even with a student's discount.

In any case it's always better to use a suitable format for actual distribution - an obvious choice that makes sure everything is as it should be across versions (including formatting) is PDF. While working you can easily use RTF or plain text.

At my university some professors had a bad habit of sending out .doc files, but explaining to them that having to buy a prohibitively expensive office suite to open it was out of the question, they made sure to distribute RTF and/or PDF instead. It's really just common courtesy.

And yeah, for formatting you either have to be sure that the recipient has the exact same version of Word in order for it to remain identical. But then again I wonder why you would ever have to hand someone a .doc file. In the real world you'd typically hand in a piece of paper and then the word processor is irrelevant.

Thanks to the capability of Pages, I was able to take .doc files from other group members and quickly do a proper formatting before printing it out - and in the process avoiding the typical pitfalls where people don't use styles etc. correctly.

Impressively enough most people are actually perfectly willing to work with documents in formats that aren't Microsoft's. And you don't really lose out because of it at all.

Reply Parent Score: 2