Linked by Thom Holwerda on Thu 1st Feb 2007 14:41 UTC, submitted by Oliver
FreeBSD "Linux has a large amount of device drivers for hardware not supported on FreeBSD, especially USB devices. Not rarely, such drivers have been written based on information derived by protocol sniffing, reverse engineering and the like. This makes the code highly undocumented, and renders the porting effort extremely error prone. To help with this task, I decided to start working on an emulation layer that would let us recompile the linux source code on FreeBSD, and provide a sufficiently complete emulation of the kernel APIs so that device drivers (or at least certain classes) could be used without modifications to their source code."
Permalink for comment 208314
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[6]: Miss-information
by Moulinneuf on Fri 2nd Feb 2007 13:01 UTC in reply to "RE[5]: Miss-information"
Moulinneuf
Member since:
2005-07-06

Ok , so your telling me that in those words : "You are allowed to close the code and switch its license at your own free will is granted by the BSD " , is part of the bsd , no , sorry , they ( those exact word ) dont exist. Your granting yourself right that are not given by the BSD protection clause.

Im from CANADA ...

If BSD where primarely capitalist , paying to use it the most money possible would be its primary goal. Its primary goal is *Usage*. Witch is defeated by the special right some people have granted themself by closing there derivative and switching license , two actions that are not covered or dare I say permited under the BSD's.

"Isn't this what capitalists want?"

No , all capitalist care about is making the most money , you can have 5% market share but if people pay more and you make more money then the rest of the other people making up that 95% market share the capitalist want that.

"And about switching to other licenses: That's not true. "

Look if its not true then port the BSD based software and driver inside Apple and Microsoft and other closed system to all the BSD ... Denying reality lead you nowhere.

"I think I don't understand you."

No , I know your beeing decptive , about your undertsanding.

"In science, in academia, you're usually locked in "

No in true science and true academia your not locked in. Now Science and academia have become more commercial this days , but its not really a good thing.

"Maybe it seems to you to be this way. Maybe because english is my third foreign language and it surely is not your native language. It's hard to figure out what you want to tell exactly, so maybe I misunderstood you."

No , language is not the problem and you certainly look like you mastered it enough to grasp what I am talking about.

"I have to admit that I don't get your points because you don't elaborate at them in a way that it's clear to understand."

No I elaborate , you just decided that what I say is wrong and false. witch is not the case at all. You take the good side of BSD only , where I speak of its bad side , witch you have decided dont exist and is false.

"What's okay then?"

The GPL.

"And why is BSD used?"

Because it exists ...

If BSD is the best why do you change license to something else ?

Reply Parent Score: -1