Linked by Thom Holwerda on Wed 22nd Jul 2009 18:20 UTC, submitted by tupp
Apple It seems Apple is on a roller coaster ride this week, going from bad news to good news, back to bad news again. A local television station from Seattle, US, forced the Consumer Product Safety Commission via the Freedom Of Information Act to hand over an 800-page report about fire hazards posed by Apple's iPod music players. Experts on consumer safety agree that it's time Apple makes public statements about the fire hazards posed by iPods.
Permalink for comment 374729
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
Not really an iPod problem
by David on Wed 22nd Jul 2009 20:17 UTC
David
Member since:
1997-10-01

This is really more of a Lithium Ion problem than an iPod problem. It's only happening in iPods so much because there are so many iPods. The big question for me is whether Lithium Ion batteries are inherently prone to overheating and catching fire or is this a case of poorly-manufactured batteries?

Now, if the iPods in question tended to have batteries similar in manufacture, and other devices that don't catch fire use other batteries, then there's certainly a case to be made for an investigation into what makes these particular batteries bad. But if it's just random chance, spanning the product line, with batteries from various sources, then there's not much we can do except drop Lithium Ion.

Only problem is, Lithium Ion batteries are really the only game in town. Say goodbye to pretty much every modern gadget in the world if you go back to older battery tech. Looking at the likelihood of a Lithium Ion battery actually burning me, and the benefits of the gadgets I use, I'll take my chances.

I would like to know what the warning signs are, though. As an informed consumer, I should know that if my phone feels extra hot for a couple of hours, I might not want to put it into my pants pocket. Or if it starts to smoke, I should stop charging it.

Reply Score: 2