Linked by Thom Holwerda on Mon 3rd Aug 2009 08:47 UTC, submitted by anonymous
Apple I think we just found out why we aren't hearing more stories of exploding and burning iPods. Ken Stanborough had to throw his daughter Ellie's iPod Touch outside, because it got too hot to hold, and he could see vapour. Within 30 seconds, he could see smoke, he heard a pop, and the Touch went 10ft into the air. After contacting Apple, the company denied liability, but offered a refund. However, Apple said that in accepting the money, Stanborough was not allowed to talk about the existence of the agreement - or else Apple would sue him. Update: Apple told Sky News Online that the letter with the gagging order is standard practice.

Permalink for comment 376774
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
Standards!!
by nickelbackro on Mon 3rd Aug 2009 17:55 UTC
nickelbackro
Member since:
2009-04-12

As an electrical technician i find this horrible. There are organizations out there such as UL that do extensive testing of consumer devices. IDK if the iPod touch is UL (or an equivalent outside safety organization) listed but i would hope so. Knowing apple though it wouldn't surprise me if all testing is done in house.

This sounds like an internal short and such explosive results can be alleviated if a simple tear away vent were placed on the battery. The battery would vent its contents and fail to work afterward but would not critically fail due to pressure. Not having a safety device as simple as this is irresponsible at best even if space concerns were an issue.

Edited 2009-08-03 17:56 UTC

Reply Score: 6