Linked by Thom Holwerda on Sun 2nd Oct 2005 13:25 UTC
Mac OS X Another pre-release build of Mac OS X 10.4.3 was among the software seeds reportedly released by [Apple]. Now at build 8F31, the third maintenance release to Tiger is is approaching 110MB in size and includes well over 500 minor fixes and enhancements. The frequency in which Apple has released new builds of the update indicates that a release is on tap for the first half of October.
Permalink for comment 39275
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE: Good advice
by protagonist on Sun 2nd Oct 2005 20:40 UTC in reply to "Good advice"
protagonist
Member since:
2005-07-06

"If your not cloning your boot drive to a external drive, you better learn how now.

1: Disk utility erase w/zero a new external

2: Repair permissions on original drive

3: Carbon Copy Cloner (make bootable in prefs) the whole shebang

4: Set clone to boot or option boot to it and check it out carefully

5: Disconnect.

6: Pray 10.4.3 holds, if not, boot from the clone and Erase/reverse clone.

7: Breath easy."

If you have such little faith in the update would it not be simpler to install the update on the external drive and boot from that to check everything out.? But I do agree with you on the hold your breath part. I tried twice to upgrade 10.3.9 to 10.4 and had to revert to 10.3.9 because of problems not so much with the update but conflicts with some of the 3rd party software I had installed. I will be trying again in the next day or so to see if the updates since the original release have solved my problems. Since I have two internal drives it is fairly easy to install on the clone and then fix any serial number problems that crop up.

Reply Parent Score: 1