Linked by Thom Holwerda on Fri 23rd Sep 2011 22:22 UTC, submitted by kragil
Windows The story about how secure boot for Windows 8, part of UEFI, will hinder the use of non-signed binaries and operating systems, like Linux, has registered at Redmond as well. The company posted about it on the Building Windows 8 blog - but didn't take any of the worries away. In fact, Red Hat's Matthew Garrett, who originally broke this story, has some more information - worst of which is that Red Hat has received confirmation from hardware vendors that some of them will not allow you to disable secure boot.
Permalink for comment 490565
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE: Comment by Luminair
by WorknMan on Sat 24th Sep 2011 02:57 UTC in reply to "Comment by Luminair"
WorknMan
Member since:
2005-11-13

I wonder if there is an anti-trust spin on this.


Probably not. It would be a bit hypocritical for governments to come down on Microsoft for this, while at the same time giving tablet and smartphone vendors a free pass. It's not like MS has a monopoly on the desktop either, when you consider that it competes with OSX, as well as smartphones and tablets these days.

As for this whole secure boot thing, it'll go down just like it does on Android - 1-2% of the userbase is going to complain bitterly and will eventually figure out a way to 'root' their PCs (or just buy one unlocked), while the other 98% of the population won't give a shit. I'm not saying this is a good thing, but that's just the way it's going to be. My parents are not going to give a rat's ass that Windows is the only OS they can install, if that's all they intended to install anyway.

Reply Parent Score: 2