Linked by snydeq on Sun 11th Dec 2011 01:35 UTC
General Development Fatal Exception's Neil McAllister writes in favor of new programming languages given the difficulty of upgrading existing, popular languages. 'Whenever a new programming language is announced, a certain segment of the developer population always rolls its eyes and groans that we have quite enough to choose from already,' McAllister writes. 'But once a language reaches a certain tipping point of popularity, overhauling it to include support for new features, paradigms, and patterns is easier said than done.' PHP 6, Perl 6, Python 3, ECMAScript 4 -- 'the lesson from all of these examples is clear: Programming languages move slowly, and the more popular a language is, the slower it moves. It is far, far easier to create a new language from whole cloth than it is to convince the existing user base of a popular language to accept radical changes.'
Permalink for comment 499866
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[5]: Do I agree or not?
by snowbender on Sun 11th Dec 2011 20:38 UTC in reply to "RE[4]: Do I agree or not?"
Member since:

When coding will be 80% of the time a developer spends during software development, then I will agree.
But currently coding is 20% of the time, unless you are inexperienced developer that likes to make his on mistakes.

Hmm.. if an experienced developer only spends 20% of the time on coding, then what does he do the remaining 80% of the time?

Reply Parent Score: 2