Linked by Thom Holwerda on Fri 10th Feb 2012 00:13 UTC
In the News "Like any space opera, the story of information technology is a very simple one. It is played out in a myriad of different ways by a revolving cast of characters, but it always has its loveable heroes, its predictably nefarious villains, innocent civilians to be saved, and bumbling bureaucrats that aren't inherently evil, but begin every story aiding the forces of darkness out of a misplaced belief they are preserving law and order in their corner of the galaxy." He might use Star Wars as an analogy (I strongly dislike Star Wars - Trekkie here), but it sums up very well how I feel about computing today.
Permalink for comment 506652
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
Comment by ilovebeer
by ilovebeer on Fri 10th Feb 2012 16:48 UTC
ilovebeer
Member since:
2011-08-08

Content creation is not going to vanish due to piracy just like music, movies, tv shows, etc. haven't. Don't be distracted by the absurdity, propaganda, and FUD companies and so-called artist protection groups throw at you. Entertainment is still and will continue to be a multi-billion dollar a year business for the foreseeable future.

For some reason people never seem to catch on that the sky is _always_ falling, but never actually comes crashing down. As long as there is money to be made, people will make it -- and those who can't figure out how, or feel they're more entitled will whine about it.

I'd like to point out a couple more things.. Before you bash companies for their take of the profits, consider how much risk is involved for them financially, and what the actual ROI is. I'll tell you now, at best you see around 10% who succeed, while the remaining 90% are in the red. It is _not_ cheap to be competitive in the entertainment realm, especially when it comes to music. And with great risk _should_ come great reward. It's incredibly naive to think all people need to do is create a work and throw it up on the net. If you think it's that simple, you probably think Hogwarts is a real place too.

Lastly, artists willingly sign contracts. They know what the terms are before doing so. If they're confused about anything, they certainly can have it clarified. In other words, don't agree to something and then turn around and whine about it.

I've personally been on both sides of the fence. Would it break these companies to give a little more to the artists? No. Do artists complain more than they should? A lot of the time, yes. If "you" were exposed to more of the business side of the entertainment business, "you" may lose some of that prejudice. The entertainment industry has made more millionaires than it has hobos.

Reply Score: 2