Linked by Thom Holwerda on Fri 24th Aug 2012 23:54 UTC
Legal And just like that, within a matter of days, the jury has reached a verdict in Apple vs. Samsung. The basic gist is simple: Apple's software patents are valid, and many Samsung devices infringe upon them. Apple's iPhone 3G trade dress is valid, and Samsung's Galaxy S line infringes, but other devices did not. Samsung did not infringe Apple's iPad design patent. Apple did not infringe any of Samsung's patents. Apple is awarded a little over $1 billion in damages. Competition lost today, and developers in the United States should really start to get worried - software patents got validated big time today.
Permalink for comment 532390
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[5]: Appeal Coming Soon
by brichpmr on Sun 26th Aug 2012 11:51 UTC in reply to "RE[4]: Appeal Coming Soon"
Member since:

"Apple earns almost 60% of it's IPhone revenue from international sales

Sounds impressive, until you do the actual math:

40% of iPhone revenue comes from the US, so 4.5% of the world's population is responsible for 40% of iPhone revenue. This means that the remaining 60% comes from 95.5% of the world's population. This is an incredibly skewed division - it means that a small sales drop in the US can easily have harsh repercussions for bottom line. No spreading of risks here - all eggs in one basket.

It also means that Apple's iPhone growth potential outside of the US market is substantial, and places them in a stronger position to weather downward fluctuations in revenue from the home market. Of course, Apple has been walking on the high wire for decades as endless naysayers predicted their demise. My, how the worm turns.

Edited 2012-08-26 12:00 UTC

Reply Parent Score: 0