Linked by Thom Holwerda on Sat 5th Jan 2013 14:53 UTC
Talk, Rumors, X Versus Y And so this situation is starting to get ridiculous - and consumers are, as usual, caught in the middle of it all. Google has just blocked Windows Phone devices from accessing Google Maps on their phones. In addition, it also seems Windows Phone users are now restricted to the basic HTML version of the mobile GMail website. While understandable from a defensive perspective - Microsoft's extortion scheme targeting Android device makers and all that - it's still a massive dick move that only hurts consumers. Update: the media attention has worked - Google is backpedalling, and will remove the redirect. "We periodically test Google Maps compatibility with mobile browsers to make sure we deliver the best experience for those users. In our last test, IE mobile still did not offer a good maps experience with no ability to pan or zoom and perform basic map functionality. As a result, we chose to continue to redirect IE mobile users to Google.com where they could at least make local searches. The Firefox mobile browser did offer a somewhat better user experience and that’s why there is no redirect for those users. Recent improvements to IE mobile and Google Maps now deliver a better experience and we are currently working to remove the redirect. We will continue to test Google Maps compatibility with other mobile browsers to ensure the best possible experience for users."
Permalink for comment 547580
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE: Microsoft has never changed
by smashIt on Sun 6th Jan 2013 16:24 UTC in reply to "Microsoft has never changed"
smashIt
Member since:
2005-07-06

1- UEFI Crippled Boot. It's getting hard to put a non-Microsoft OperatingSystem on a computer, due to UEFI Crippled Boot.


then talk to the hardware-manufactorer!
it's their responsibility to deliver a working firmware

2- Forced to buy Windows. I can't buy a pre-installed Linux laptop at the large stores


so it's microsofts fault that stores don't want to stock laptops without windows?
you do realise that they did exactly what you want when the netbooks hit the market.
the result was that everybody bought the windows-edition if they had the choice.

just buy one with freedos and install linux yourselfe, because the preinstalled linux will always be the wrong distribution.




6- OOXML. I still cannot completely read or edit .doc or .docx files using OpenOffice or LibreOffice. When .odt was adopted as a standard, Microsoft used all tricks to get ooxml adopted as a second standard. Then, in their next MSOffice versions, they did not even implement their own "open" standard. Result: communication between MSOffice and competing office suites is still crippled (yes, it's 90% OK, but the remaining 10% of errors sucks).


at the time many governments started to require support for a standardised file-format.
and the only available format was odf.
the only problem was:
what was called a final standard shouldn't even have qualified as a first draft for a proposal.
please remember that odf didn't even support spreadsheets at the time when ms pushed for OOXML.

7. Other non-standards used to lock out others: Exchange, Mono, Silverlight, and so on.


mono is open source, silverlight is an alternative to flash (very open ;) ), and so on

Edited 2013-01-06 16:29 UTC

Reply Parent Score: 3