Linked by Thom Holwerda on Fri 15th Feb 2013 10:40 UTC
General Development "Since I left my job at Amazon I have spent a lot of time reading great source code. Having exhausted the insanely good idSoftware pool, the next thing to read was one of the greatest game of all time: Duke Nukem 3D and the engine powering it named 'Build'. It turned out to be a difficult experience: The engine delivered great value and ranked high in terms of speed, stability and memory consumption but my enthousiasm met a source code controversial in terms of organization, best practices and comments/documentation. This reading session taught me a lot about code legacy and what helps a software live long." Hail to the king, baby.
Permalink for comment 552658
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[5]: Code Review
by Bill Shooter of Bul on Fri 15th Feb 2013 18:33 UTC in reply to "RE[4]: Code Review"
Bill Shooter of Bul
Member since:
2006-07-14

Oh yeah, I've seen that before. The code filled with hacks to just meet 80% of the requirements. Send it back to get the other 20% and it comes back missing some of the original requirements it did meet in the first iteration, so it now meets 60%.

Reply Parent Score: 2