Linked by Thom Holwerda on Thu 16th May 2013 17:04 UTC
Games "But Beck and Merrill decided that simply banning toxic players wasn't an acceptable solution for their game. Riot Games began experimenting with more constructive modes of player management through a formal player behavior initiative that actually conducts controlled experiments on its player base to see what helps reduce bad behavior. The results of that initiative have been shared at a lecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and on panels at the Penny Arcade Expo East and the Game Developers Conference." Absolutely fascinating stuff. I'm a League of Legends player, and to be honest, the community isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be. I'm happy Riot games has the guts to employ science to address the issue.
Permalink for comment 561859
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE: Mob Rules
by saynte on Thu 16th May 2013 18:29 UTC in reply to "Mob Rules"
saynte
Member since:
2007-12-10

The article states that they found that 80% of the time the "mob" agreed with the mods, and the other 20% of the time they were actually more lenient. So they're actually evaluating the effects of their approaches, which seems to be the right way to do it.

There is also more than just this to the article: they investigated ban times, the effect of forcing players to toggle on all-speak options, etc.

They ran the whole thing like an experiment, cool!

Reply Parent Score: 3