Linked by Eugenia Loli on Sat 6th Dec 2003 19:42 UTC, submitted by Tom Curtis
SCO, Caldera, Unixware IBM won a tactical victory Friday in a legal battle with SCO Group when a judge ordered SCO to show within 30 days the Linux software to which it believes it has rights and to point out where it believes IBM is infringing.
Permalink for comment
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
SCO is slowly going down
by peragrin on Sun 7th Dec 2003 02:24 UTC

While most of the comments are right about certian points. lets get it out in the open SCO must do one of the following, show IBM(not the Open source community) the code that they believe is under their derivative work. Problem with that is they don't acutally own the code in question, so it is IBm's to do with as they please. or SCO must dismiss the case.
If they dismiss the case, they then get sued, by IBM, red hat(both already started), the FSF and probally a few of the big names. There won't be enough left to sue anyone else. If they actually show the code to IBM in 30 days(no more the judge has already said so). Then IBM can step up and prove who owns what. They probally have copies to all the code BSD, since 1994, including all the SCO released under the BSD. a then comparison will turn up the whole truth. is their unix source code in the linux kernel, possible.
By declaring all gpl software around the world by thousands of devolpers, who never used any unix software public domain SCO shows that they have no respect for any copyright other than their own. An American judge can only make the GPL void in the USA, and return the copyright to the devolpers who wrote it. That leaves only the Linux Kernel in dispute, and it can be shown were 90% of that came from with out SCO being able to stop it, leaving 10% for the courts to decide, which is only around 500,000 lines of code maybe. No matter what if SCO wins both the kernel and SCO lose, if IBM wins SCO is gone, and the next matter is who buys up the remains.
now why did I say if SCO wins it still loses, you see Unixware's greatest features are GPL software written in other countries. SCO has to repeat their copyright claims in every country in the world, if they are right it might work. Since when have they spoken 100% truth. only IBM has done that(though they haven't said much of anything)