Linked by Eugenia Loli on Wed 18th Sep 2002 02:30 UTC
Oracle and SUN These days, the big players in the Linux "purely-desktop market" are Lycoris, Lindows, ELX and the much awaited Xandros Desktop 1.0. OSNews got their hands to the latest version of Xandros (beta3b) and we are giving it a whirl. Read more for information and screenshots.
Permalink for comment
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
Oh, the hostility...
by Dave Owen on Wed 18th Sep 2002 05:59 UTC

Is it me, or are the passionate discussions starting to sound like slashdot discussions? Sigh.

That (undoubtedly flame-inducing) comment aside, I want to respond to this comment, posted earlier:

"You're right ... open source/Linux will always exist. But in the event that Linux finally catches on, you'll have a senario just like you have now ... 97% of people using AOL Linux (basically the kernel, X, and commercial crap added on top of it), and the other 2-3% will be using the 'uncorrupted' open source/free versions that are out there."

I read this a few times, and I can't see anything wrong with it. If 97% of people are using a crap version of Linux that makes them happy (but would make most of us miserable), but that's what it takes to get the big applications ported over to Linux, so be it -- because then, of the 3% remaining, people like me (who could use Linux exclusively, except for 2 or 3 work-related applications that are too media-intensive to run under vmware) could be done with Windows altogether.

Just my two cents! ;)