My first choice to install on her Averatec laptop ended up being FreeSpire. I liked the possibilities of the OS -- based on a secure, tested, open source system but with Windows compatibility, multimedia capabilities, and some user friendliness. Plus, it's free. I didn't want to stray too far away from basic Windows-like capabilities. By keeping it somewhat familiar, she probably wouldn't get too frustrated from the change. She could also, theoretically, run some of her key Windows applications if needed.
I downloaded the ISO, burned a copy, and slapped it in the Averatec's tray-loading slot. And, we were off and running.
I started off by running the disk in LiveCD mode, just to get a feel for the OS and make sure it would boot up even. The Averatec laptops are not always well supported in some versions of Linux - I didn't want to install everything first and witness the dreaded hang. But, it seemed to work, although the wireless drivers didn't work (a sign of trouble to come). I was able to make a backup of some my fiancee's files in this mode, and the overall feel of the OS gave me some hope that this might work.
However, as I began to install, problems became apparent.
The installation process was fairly easy. It was straightforward and required a few clicks. Unfortunately though, there were moments that frustrated me. For one, the instructions for the process of setting up your hard disk were lacking. I ended up having to search for a guide of some sort before I tried to resize the main partition (the Windows XP partition). Once I did finally resize it, the application told me that the operation had failed, although when I rebooted to witness the damage I had wrought, it turned out it had actually succeeded. Okay.
I continued on with the installation, which was rather quick and painless. I rebooted and crossed my fingers. Sure, enough, the OS booted fine, although there was a very long hang before KDE fully loaded up. On subsequent boots, this problem went away. We were up and running.
My fiancee was excited about the look and feel of FreeSpire's eye-candy. (Frankly, it is a pretty nice interface.) I showed her some basic things - how to change settings, where the applications were, and so on. She especially was interested in the selection of games.
The problems at this stage though were still daunting -- her wireless card worked but barely. The signal was erratic. My Powerbook, sitting feet away from her laptop, had a rock solid signal. Second, Microsoft Office would not run. I was faced with having to reinstall it to get it to run with Wine. Third, there was no built-in Korean language support. Many of her documents and emails are in Korean -- it was a must.
Tackling these issues took up a good chunk of time. I managed to get the wireless card working a little bit better, but it was never fully resolved. Downloading files was shaky because of the bad connections. Help and tips from FreeSpire's wiki were pretty much non-existent, so I just did my best to live with the whacky signal.
I decided to ignore the Microsoft Office issue, instead showing her how to use OpenOffice for the time being. This wasn't supposed to take up this much time.
The Korean input turned out to be the killer issue. Language support for FreeSpire (and possibly for Linux as a whole) is downright abysmal. I searched FreeSpire's CNR repository for language files and input systems, but there was nothing there. I can't tell you how frustrating that experience was, since it was built to be a user-friendly search experience. I found help on other sites, but the instructions for installing an alternate input manager were vague or incomplete. Once I did get one installed, it didn't even seem to work.
At this point, my experiment was over. I admitted defeat.
- "Review: Freespire 1.0, 1/2"
- "Review: Freespire 1.0, 2/2"