The deal focusses on virtualisation, and covers the following aspects:
- Red Hat will validate Windows Server 2003 SP2, Windows 2000 Server SP4, and Windows Server 2008 guests on Red Hat Enterprise virtualization technologies.
- Microsoft will validate Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.2 and 5.3 guests on Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V (all editions) and Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008.
- Once each company completes testing, customers with valid support agreements will receive cooperative technical support for:
- running Windows Server operating system virtualized on Red Hat Enterprise virtualization
- running Red Hat Enterprise Linux virtualized on Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V.
The key here is that unlike the deal between Novell and Microsoft, there is no patent covenant involved here. Also, technically this is not a joint agreement. Basically, what both companies have done is validated each other's operating systems for the virtualisation validation programs.