Before we get this thing rolling, I would like to give you a little background about me: I am 28 years old, I live in the lovely capital of Austria, Vienna, and I am studying history here (yeah, for real...). I earn my money being a self-employed IT-consultant, mostly doing small companies with Windows desktops, Windows or Linux servers, removing viruses, updating websites, all the small stuff. I have been into Linux for about three years now, and I have been an avid user of Red Hat Linux ever since. That dates back to 2002, when I really wanted to like Mandrake, but every release of Red Hat seemed to be a bit less buggy and more stable. Until Red Hat 7.3, I used the KDE desktop, with 8.0 I switched to Gnome (and that's pretty much the reason why I use Fedora today).
I have installed Fedora Core 2 on two computers here: one is an old PIII, 256 RAM, IDE drives, some old 4MB GPU, PS2 keyboard and mouse, really nothing special. The second computer is my - much beloved - Compaq Presario 2815 that i bought two years ago: PIV mobile, 512 RAM, 30 GB IDE drive, ATI Radeon 7500 GPU, USB mouse. Both systems have already seen everything from Red Hat 7.3 - Fedora Core 1 (and Mandrake 8.x to 9.x), and I can't recall any installation problems ever.
Before the installations, I was a little frightened of the 2.6 kernel hardware support, and, since both systems dualboot Windows XP, I was thrilled if I get caught by the infamous dual-boot-bug. I was not that frightened, because, after all, this is not a Fedora-specific bug, but a kernel2.6 bug, and it also happens with Suse 9.1 and Mandrake 10. So I thought, it can't be THAT bad, these systems have been out for some time. Also, I don't have any firewire stuff, so I didn't mind that firewire was disabled in FC2.
I didn't really care about the old PIII, it's just there for backup-reasons. I had the backup-hd removed during installation, and I knew I could set it up again easily enough. Installation on this computer went without a problem, I just deleted the old Linux partitions, let the installer create new ones behind the NTFS-partition, selected personal desktop and that was about it. I was able to boot Windows, I was able to boot Linux, and I got a chance to see if immediate upgrading of my notebook would be worth it. Of course, since my notebook featured a rock-solid, finetuned Fecora Core 1 installation, immediate upgrading would have NOT been necessary. Oh well... I chucked CD1 in, deleted my everyday-I-love-it-and-can't-live-without-it system and went for the new thing...
Again, the installation went without a hitch. And I was lucky. No bug again. (Not that I'd really need the Windows XP installation. I boot it about once a month and the only thing I do is upgrade my virus-definitions. Duh.). The whole installation process took about 20-30 minutes, I just installed the default "Personal Desktop", around 2GB of software. All hardware was detected properly (I don't know if the winmodem is set up correctly but I couldn't care less).
Ok, on to my regulars: first of all, I had to edit fstab to mount my data drive (a FAT32 partition that sits between my Windows and Linux installs, you probably guessed it). Routine for me, still someone at Red Hat should do something about this. This should be automatic. You can do it during the partitioning of the installation, but that's also not too intuitive :-)
Ok, Mozilla - check. Openoffice - check. Gimp - check. Gaim - check. Rhythmbox - check. Let's add some of my day-to-day software: I opened the package installation tool, and installed the samba packages, K3B, Mozilla Mail, XMMS (which is surprisingly not installed by default) and gFTP (same here). I set up Mozilla Mail, copied my mail directory back and checked mail (I am sitting behind a DHCP'ed router, so internet connection was there without any further configuring). Surfing the web, checking mail, and my Windows install was not trashed. Good stuff :-)
- "Fedora Core 2, Page 1/2"
- "Fedora Core 2, Page 2/2"