Linked by Thom Holwerda on Fri 2nd Jun 2006 19:51 UTC, submitted by Tyr.
Windows Computerworld's Scot Finnie details 20 things you won't like in Windows Vista, with a visual tour to prove it. He says that MS has favored security over end-user productivity, making the user feel like a rat caught in a maze with all the protect-you-from-yourself password-entry and 'Continue' boxes required by the User Account Controls feature. "Business and home users will be nonplussed by the blizzard of protect-you-from-yourself password-entry and 'Continue' boxes required by the User Account Controls feature, for example." Update: Apparantly, Vista Beta 2 sucks up battery juice much faster than XP does.
Thread beginning with comment 130121
To view parent comment, click here.
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE: Qualms with the article
by AdamW on Fri 2nd Jun 2006 22:01 UTC in reply to "Qualms with the article"
AdamW
Member since:
2005-07-06

"18. User Account Controls $#^%!~!!! -- 80% of this is praise for the features. The other 20% is complaining about Vista being overly cautious and asking you things every step of the way. With the quick-to-dismiss-dialog-boxes nature of the typical Windows user, this is what it has to come down to to keep Windows users safe from themselves."

No, it's shooting your own feature in the foot.

If you see one security-related dialog box a day, you'll read it carefully and make an appropriate choice.

If you see a hundred security-related dialog boxes a day, you will immediately click OK without even reading the contents, and get very frustrated in the process.

Excess caution results in no security and peed off users: not a good result.

Reply Parent Score: 5

RE[2]: Qualms with the article
by CPUGuy on Fri 2nd Jun 2006 22:22 in reply to "RE: Qualms with the article"
CPUGuy Member since:
2005-07-06

Honestly, you don't see it much once you get your system setup with the apps you want and such.

Though there are still some bugs with how it actually works.... again, beta 2.

Reply Parent Score: 1

RE[2]: Qualms with the article
by Tom K on Fri 2nd Jun 2006 22:51 in reply to "RE: Qualms with the article"
Tom K Member since:
2005-07-06

Indeed ... you have a point. The person who replied to you also has a point, though.

In any case, it beats having NO dialog at tall.

Reply Parent Score: 2