Linked by Thom Holwerda on Fri 22nd Sep 2006 21:09 UTC, submitted by diegocg
GNU, GPL, Open Source A group of 29 Linux kernel developers have recently come together and produced a position statement on GPLv3 [.pdf|.txt] explaining why they don't like the GPLv3. "The three key objections noted in section 5 are individually and collectively sufficient reason for us to reject the current licence proposal. [...] We foresee the release of GPLv3 portends the Balkanisation of the entire Open Source Universe upon which we rely." They've also run a GPLv3 poll.
Thread beginning with comment 164879
To view parent comment, click here.
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE: It just doesn't matter
by Sodki on Fri 22nd Sep 2006 21:54 UTC in reply to "It just doesn't matter"
Sodki
Member since:
2005-11-10

You're right, it really doesn't matter. Linux can only change it's license if EVERY code contributor since 1991 agreed to change the licence. It simply won't happen.

And I like GPLv3.

Reply Parent Score: 1

RE[2]: It just doesn't matter
by g2devi on Fri 22nd Sep 2006 22:22 in reply to "RE: It just doesn't matter"
g2devi Member since:
2005-07-09

Not really. Individual modules and files could be licensed GPL2 or greater. The kernel would still be GPL2 since "GPL2" plus "GPL2 or greater" is equal to "GPL2', but if after a year or so, 95% of the kernel were GPL2 or greater, then the remaining 5% code could be rewritten.

The key thing to note is that, if the poll is accurate, it doesn't look as though the kernel would change licenses even if there was a concerted effort to do so.

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[3]: It just doesn't matter
by CrLf on Fri 22nd Sep 2006 22:43 in reply to "RE[2]: It just doesn't matter"
CrLf Member since:
2006-01-03

"then the remaining 5% code could be rewritten"

5% of the current Linux codebase is A LOT of code.

Reply Parent Score: 1