Linked by Thom Holwerda on Mon 16th Feb 2009 14:07 UTC
Editorial Late last week we ran a story on how the Google Chrome team had decided to use Gtk+ as the graphical toolkit for the Linux version of the Chrome web browser. It was a story that caused some serious debate on a variety of aspects, but in this short editorial, I want to focus on one aspect that came forward: the longing for consistency. Several people in the thread stated they were happy with Google's choice for purely selfish reasons: they use only Gtk+ applications on their GNOME desktops. Several people chimed in to say that Qt integrates nicely in a Gtk+ environment. While that may be true from a graphical point of view, that really isn't my problem with mixing toolkits. The issue goes a lot deeper than that.
E-mail Print r 2   · Read More · 93 Comment(s)
Thread beginning with comment 349271
To view parent comment, click here.
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[3]: OMG
by Darkmage on Mon 16th Feb 2009 15:33 UTC in reply to "RE[2]: OMG"
Member since:

I'd actually guess that people do choose their desktops based on the apps available and they do try to run pure environments as much as possible. I've seen a lot of people do that. most of the DEs have net/movies/music now so it's not a problem for 90% of people. Probably half of the other 10% don't care.

Reply Parent Score: 2