Linked by Thom Holwerda on Thu 11th Mar 2010 22:59 UTC
Benchmarks Common wisdom has it that Flash is a resource hog, and that HTML5 will prevent your processor from having to work really, really hard to show animations of videos. Well, a number of people have conducted benchmarks with the latest browsers and Flash betas, and common wisdom is starting to show serious signs of crackage.
Thread beginning with comment 413338
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
no excuse
by maaxx on Fri 12th Mar 2010 00:54 UTC
maaxx
Member since:
2007-11-06

Let's cut the crap, ok?
The greedy leeches at Adobe have no excuse.
They had lots of time, shitloads of money and open standards and code as helpers to produce something less despicable. They have failed.
And because these idiots failed what should I, a consumer, do? Change my OS, buy dedicated GPU because they are incompetents? No, thank you, I will keep hating and avoiding them.

Reply Score: 5

RE: no excuse
by siimo on Fri 12th Mar 2010 07:37 in reply to "no excuse"
siimo Member since:
2006-06-22

Well Windows owns 95% of the desktops. I guess they aren't worried about that remaining 5% that much.

I'm sure they already know you don't want to change your OS but don't care about it all that much.

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[2]: no excuse
by Kroc on Fri 12th Mar 2010 08:20 in reply to "RE: no excuse"
Kroc Member since:
2005-11-10

But people change their phones as much as every six months.

If it wasn’t for the iPhone then there’s no way that 10.1 would exist on so many handsets. Adobe are having their air supply cut off and they know it.

Microsoft didn’t tout Flash as a feature at all when they announced the HP Slate; now that the iPad is out of the bag, it seems Flash is the Next Best Thing™.

Reply Parent Score: 1

RE[2]: no excuse
by RIchard James13 on Fri 12th Mar 2010 09:49 in reply to "RE: no excuse"
RIchard James13 Member since:
2007-10-26

I use Windows, If I get a choice between using a Flash based website and a HTML5 one I will choose HTML5 every time.

Just because Adobe fix this one issue now, doesn't mean people will instantly forget how bad Flash is and was.

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE: no excuse
by bousozoku on Sun 14th Mar 2010 06:54 in reply to "no excuse"
bousozoku Member since:
2006-01-23

Let's cut the crap, ok?
The greedy leeches at Adobe have no excuse.
They had lots of time, shitloads of money and open standards and code as helpers to produce something less despicable. They have failed.
And because these idiots failed what should I, a consumer, do? Change my OS, buy dedicated GPU because they are incompetents? No, thank you, I will keep hating and avoiding them.


That's the thing. They do the minimum and charge the maximum. They still haven't produced (through CS3 that I have) a version of Photoshop that goes idle (0.0%) properly on Mac OS X. That would be 4 versions running on the operating system (version 7 to CS3) and only CS3 is moderately okay.

Core Video has been available since Mac OS X 10.4 (around 6 years?) and they chose to ignore it and Quartz, and basically anything else that was new to Mac OS X (or 9 or 8 most likely).

You'd think that they'd want to be the best, not just another psuedo-monopoly.

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[2]: no excuse
by dumdiddydum on Mon 15th Mar 2010 07:09 in reply to "RE: no excuse"
dumdiddydum Member since:
2009-10-29

You'd think that they'd want to be the best, not just another psuedo-monopoly.


Except they don't have to because they do run a quasi monopoly in the graphic/design market. Only Indesign has a serious competitor and the fact that Quark pissed off a lot of customers up until a few years ago doesn't make this look any better.

Reply Parent Score: 1