Linked by Thom Holwerda on Mon 18th Oct 2010 21:54 UTC
Linux Well, it's been a while since we've opened this particular jar (box is not historically accurate) owned by Pandora. Desktop Linux... Yes, that ever elusive readiness of the desktop that is Linux-powered. Some story on ComputerWorld argues that the desktop Linux dream is dead, and apparently, the story is causing some stir on the web. Well, paint me pink and call me a lightbulb, but of course desktop Linux is dead. However - who gives a flying monkey? Linux is being used by more people than ever!
Thread beginning with comment 445718
To view parent comment, click here.
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
michi
Member since:
2006-02-04


c) filesystem ACLs by default.

It is possible to use ACLs on Linux. But ACLs have absolutely no advantage for the typical desktop user. In fact, I work for a big organization and every time ACLs are used, they are causing lots of trouble and the problems could as well be solved by using Linux file permissions. ACLs are way too complex and the simple Linux file permissions are perfectly fine 99% of the time. And the remaining 1% certainly have nothing to do with normal desktop usage.

Reply Parent Score: 2