Linked by Thom Holwerda on Wed 21st Sep 2011 22:06 UTC, submitted by kragil
Windows After the walled garden coming to the desktop operating system world, we're currently witnessing another potential nail in the coffin of the relatively open world of desktop and laptop computing. Microsoft has revealed [.pptx] that as part of its Windows 8 logo program, OEMs must implement UEFI secure boot. This could potentially complicate the installation of other operating systems, like Windows 7, XP, and Linux.
Thread beginning with comment 490388
To view parent comment, click here.
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[2]: Comment by shmerl
by shmerl on Thu 22nd Sep 2011 19:23 UTC in reply to "RE: Comment by shmerl"
shmerl
Member since:
2010-06-08

> Basically a lot of Laptops and Desktops would not be
> as cheap if they didn't have a Windows License

Completely the opposite. Hardware would be cheaper if not Windows tax.

> If you want to install whatever just do so ... you aren't losing anything.

Except the price of Windows which in general is above $100 in US.

> I am pretty sure Dell get Windows Licenses for like $4 or something

You can't be sure of something Dell never revealed to the public. Indirect methods indicate amounts much bigger than $4 as practice shows.

> I think a lot of people have to get real IMO.

Yes, to be real is to be against monopoly of crooks which MS are.

> Either uninstall it ... which isn't hard.

Microsoft wants to prevent you even from this now with this secured boot nonsense.

Edited 2011-09-22 19:28 UTC

Reply Parent Score: 4

RE[3]: Comment by shmerl
by lucas_maximus on Thu 22nd Sep 2011 19:33 in reply to "RE[2]: Comment by shmerl"
lucas_maximus Member since:
2009-08-18

Many OEMs have said that their hardware is as cheap as it is because of the bundled software and the fact that Microsoft gives them OEM discounts.

It like standard stuff. I usually buy my laptop (which are usually dell) from guys that repackage the OS without the crap or give me install media.

In ever other walk of life ... people getting ripped because they didn't know their shit goes unnoticed ... but in the Computer world ... nerds think it is a holy war.

As I said you guys need to get real about a lot of things ...

Recent Conversation between a Bloke and a Linux fanboy in my office

Bloke - "I bought this on iTunes and my girlfriend can't play it on <other Mp3 player>"
LF - "iTunes has DRM"
Bloke - "??"
LF - "It stops you playing it on other things"
Bloke - "Well that makes sense since it is Apple's make"

Seriously people just expect this. It is exactly the same as Henry hoover bags not working on My cheap ass Argos hoover.

I should have done my research ... luckily my flat is small and I don't hoover often.

BTW hoover in England = Vacuum Cleaner.

Edited 2011-09-22 19:34 UTC

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[4]: Comment by shmerl
by shmerl on Thu 22nd Sep 2011 19:43 in reply to "RE[3]: Comment by shmerl"
shmerl Member since:
2010-06-08

Brainwashed people can expect that to live behind barbed wires and electrical fences is a norm. Normal people don't expect that, believe me.

Your example is strange. If he expected that to happen, why did he try giving it to his girlfriend? Or was it she asking him? At least one of them is surely normal, intuitively expecting to play the media where they want. I.e. DRM is not a natural thing.

> Many OEMs have said that their hardware is as cheap as
> it is because of the bundled software and the fact
> that Microsoft gives them OEM discounts.

You mean cheaper than if they wouldn't get those discounts (read bribes from MS for them to support MS monopoly). But of course not as cheap as without Windows tax at all.

Reply Parent Score: 3

RE[4]: Comment by shmerl
by Soulbender on Thu 22nd Sep 2011 20:10 in reply to "RE[3]: Comment by shmerl"
Soulbender Member since:
2005-08-18

Many OEMs have said that their hardware is as cheap as it is because of the bundled software and the fact that Microsoft gives them OEM discounts.


Unless MS actually *pay* them that will still add to the cost. A discounted price is still a cost, it doesn't reduce the cost of your manufacturing and assembly process.
Bundled software could help reducing the price somewhat but then again, I see plenty of cheap hardware that comes with no OS and consequently no bundled apps.

Reply Parent Score: 3

RE[4]: Comment by shmerl
by vitae on Thu 22nd Sep 2011 20:58 in reply to "RE[3]: Comment by shmerl"
vitae Member since:
2006-02-20



BTW hoover in England = Vacuum Cleaner.


lol It's a good thing you added that. You say Hoover, and I immediately think either Herbert or J. Edgar.

Reply Parent Score: 2