Linked by Thom Holwerda on Thu 6th Oct 2011 00:02 UTC
Apple On its website, Apple has just confirmed that its co-founder and former CEO, Steve Jobs, has passed away at age 56. After bringing the company back from the brink of bankruptcy and turning it into one of the world's most succesful technology companies, Jobs lost the battle with pancreatic cancer.
Thread beginning with comment 492412
To view parent comment, click here.
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[2]: In heaven
by henderson101 on Mon 10th Oct 2011 11:50 UTC in reply to "RE: In heaven"
henderson101
Member since:
2006-05-30

One thing is sure, Jobs knew about people starving and people slowly dying because of lack of medicines


Don't take this the wrong way - it doesn't matter how much money you throw at a problem, unless the people in government and the countrywide infrastructure is willing to change to accommodate the "help" given, it is like pouring water in to a sieve. The money leaks out of the sides before it reaches the intended recipients. Without creating a base, the tower will topple. It all goes down to the (paraphrased by me) saying "You can give a man a fish and he eats for one day, teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime".

Pointing at the people in this world that have enough balls to start companies and make a fortune is all well and good, but assuming that they owe the world a free lunch is also pretty flawed. Gates feels like he has to give something back. Jobs spent the last 10+ years slowly dying. Some people have different priorities. By all accounts, Jobs seems to have been a pretty nice guy on a *personal* level (as opposed to "in business") - who knows what might have happened if he's had the luxury of health.

...kept on wasting money on luxuries
http://www.celebritycars.tv/steve-jobs-car-pics


And the president of the US flies in a private jet. Your point?

I don't wish to be in his place.


I'm not sure you were invited.

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[3]: In heaven
by Nth_Man on Mon 10th Oct 2011 12:31 in reply to "RE[2]: In heaven"
Nth_Man Member since:
2010-05-16

> > One thing is sure, Jobs knew about people starving
> > and people slowly dying because of lack of
> > medicines

> > ...kept on wasting money on luxuries
> > http://www.celebritycars.tv/steve-jobs-car-pics

There are many ways to understand this:
1) Thinking about it a long time.
2) Seeing your children looking at you, slowly and painfully dying because of lack of medicines... while others waste their money in luxury cars, buy another luxury car while the first is still OK, etc.
3) Etc.


> > I don't wish to be in his place.
> I'm not sure you were invited.
I don't think I was. Anyway, you can be in a place without being invited, you know.


> And the president of the US flies in a private jet.

It's a luxury for him? Could he travel safely, with the same efficiency, by another less expensive(*) means?

(*) The ones who end up paying that... are other people, of course. That money could be spent in public health, for example. So it's not an unimportant matter. The question is not trivial to answer.

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[4]: In heaven
by henderson101 on Tue 11th Oct 2011 20:11 in reply to "RE[3]: In heaven"
henderson101 Member since:
2006-05-30

There are many ways to understand this:
1) Thinking about it a long time.
2) Seeing your children looking at you, slowly and painfully dying because of lack of medicines... while others waste their money in luxury cars, buy another luxury car while the first is still OK, etc.
3) Etc.


There's a vagrant who begs out side of a tube station in London near where I work. He looks sober, he doesn't look like a drug user. He asks for money every day, morning and evening. He looks like he needs a bath. He says things such as "just trying to get enough money to stay in a hostel tonight." Most people ignore him. Why? Because every day he wants more. I could give him money every day and it wouldn't be enough. That is the real issue. No matter how much I give, it's not ever going to be enough. I work hard every day to feed my family. I was not put on earth to support his lifestyle. I'm sure he didn't choose to be homeless, but he embodies the neediness and futility of existence.


> I'm not sure you were invited.
I don't think I was. Anyway, you can be in a place without being invited, you know.


And there's no such thing as a free lunch.


"And the president of the US flies in a private jet.


It's a luxury for him? Could he travel safely, with the same efficiency, by another less expensive(*) means?i
"

You need to look at the car Bill Gates drives. And the fact that Bill Clinton had to pass a statute just so that he could be allowed to drive it in the US. Bill Gates is one of the biggest benefactors for charity in Tech. In other words, a car is a car.

Reply Parent Score: 2