Linked by Thom Holwerda on Wed 26th Oct 2011 10:32 UTC
PDAs, Cellphones, Wireless Today is the start of Nokia World 2011, the event where Nokia would unveil its first Windows Phone 7 device(s). And so they did. The Finnish mobile giant unveiled two Windows Phone 7 smartphones, as well as four new Series 40 phones for emerging markets. The most interesting thing? Pricing. Pretty aggressive. Update: Anybody want a kidney?
Thread beginning with comment 494518
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
sinking ship
by re_re on Wed 26th Oct 2011 23:56 UTC
re_re
Member since:
2005-07-06

I'm not quite sure why Nokia decided to jump onto a sinking ship with Windows phone 7. Honestly, almost everybody I know has a cell phone and 90% of them have an android based phone or an i-phone. The other 10% have an old school flip phone like a razor or something. I can't think of one person that I know that has a windows phone 7 phone.

edited for spelling.

Edited 2011-10-27 00:08 UTC

Reply Score: 1

RE: sinking ship
by zima on Wed 2nd Nov 2011 22:27 in reply to "sinking ship"
zima Member since:
2005-07-06

I'm not really defending the path where Nokia went (particularly since they traditionally seemed like the more "friendly" brand, in contrast to Motorola; Google-Nokia & Microsoft-Motorola would feel more harmonious to me ;) ); but, in making future analyses, you might remember how hugely atypical your place and your experiences are - in general (on average) and, probably, even more by the virtue of your social group.

First, ("almost everybody I know has a cell phone") it actually has a relatively low mobile phone penetration, at 93% (compare with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Europe_mobile_phone_penetration_m... for example).
Overall smartphone adoption still hovers around 20%, and flip phones / RAZR were quite unpopular in most places. You also probably can't think of a single person who has a Nokia phone, since yours is one of the very few places they don't have wide adoption.
(other curious thing to consider: most of the world really owns their phones, and uses prepaid)

Reply Parent Score: 2