Linked by Igor Ljubuncic on Mon 2nd Apr 2012 15:41 UTC
Features, Office You have just bought tickets to an exotic vacation spot. You board the flight, you land safely, you pull your netbook from your backpack, fire it up, and then check if there are any available Wireless networks. Indeed there are, unencrypted, passwordless, waiting for you. So you connect to the most convenient hotspot and start surfing. Being addicted as you are, you want to login into your email or social network just to check if something cardinal happened in the world during your four-hour flight. You're about to hit the sign in button. Stop. What you're about to do might not be safe.
Thread beginning with comment 512786
To view parent comment, click here.
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[5]: Linux most secure
by B. Janssen on Tue 3rd Apr 2012 15:56 UTC in reply to "RE[4]: Linux most secure"
B. Janssen
Member since:
2006-10-11

However the article isn't about corporate networks ... it about taking your laptop on Holiday.

How does this invalidate the statement that common sense is not going to protect you from malware?

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[6]: Linux most secure
by lucas_maximus on Tue 3rd Apr 2012 17:59 in reply to "RE[5]: Linux most secure"
lucas_maximus Member since:
2009-08-18

It doesn't ... however it isn't really wasn't the context of what I was saying or the article was talking about.

What I mean about common sense is that 95% of the time you will be fine with only it, but the other 5% of the time the AV will be there to pick up when you have slipped up. So I'd rather have both. MSE doesn't seems to have any significant performance penalty on my computer and seems pretty good, others have other preferences.

Linux is pretty good on the whole with Security (better than Mac in my opinion). But the whole system is designed to protected the system not the users data. Which is fine if you have lots of people using a system, this doesn't help you however if you use it as a personal system.

Also Linux users are more Savvy on the whole, to even consider contemplating using Linux you need to understand to some degree what an Operating System actually is.

People on this website tend to be fairly savvy and have installed one or more Operating systems themselves, and I am sure most of the people on here could run a Windows system and not get viruses for years if they had to.

In any case people are far more savvy than they used to be, I work with many that are as good at using a modern PC as I am (I learn't a few things watching the testers tear apart my pages) and I been using computers since the BBC Micro Model B (though the mac guys crap themselves when I open up the terminal, which is always fun).

My brother and sister who aren't computer savvy at all understand not to download crap from dodgy websites and can spot something dodgy from a mile off ... because it is something they have been brought up with.

Lots of people now have been brought up with PCs and aren't dumb enough to fall for scams, they are however clever enough to get around Enterprise security which is an entirely different thing all together.

However this is somewhat aside from Corporate Security which is a totally different thing. Corporate Security is about protecting the network and the companies data, and most places I have worked that are fairly large have very locked down PCs and Laptops.

The article is about arming yourself with knowledge so you can spot dodgy stuff on a network. If you have read this you are probably savvy enough to know how to protect yourself when using a Windows system.

Edited 2012-04-03 18:12 UTC

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[7]: Linux most secure
by B. Janssen on Wed 4th Apr 2012 10:23 in reply to "RE[6]: Linux most secure"
B. Janssen Member since:
2006-10-11

Thank you for your answer. I think I understand where you are coming from and I agree. People have become much better in avoiding pitfalls and every ounce of common sense certainly helps. However...

My brother and sister who aren't computer savvy at all understand not to download crap from dodgy websites and can spot something dodgy from a mile off ... because it is something they have been brought up with.


... I can't stress enough that being savvy is not enough anymore. Modern malware sneaks onto your system via totally legitimate and non-fishy vectors. All I really want to do here is to raise awareness of that fact. And telling ourselves that we are competent enough to avoid this or that is just creating a false sense of security. That's something we need to be aware of, too.

Reply Parent Score: 2