Linked by Howard Fosdick on Mon 27th Aug 2012 13:53 UTC
Editorial The dream of inexpensive computing for everyone has been with us since the first computers. Along the way it has taken some unexpected turns. This article summarizes key trends and a few of the surprises.
Thread beginning with comment 532623
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
I doubt that
by boudewijn on Mon 27th Aug 2012 16:40 UTC
boudewijn
Member since:
2006-03-05

I doubt that this is true (about smartphones). "Today they're ubiquitous. Many who carry them would never touch "a computer."

There simply isn't big generation left that is so old they don't want to use computers. Not in the west. If you're seventy years old now, you were forty when computers came in. Like my dad, plenty young enough. My dad-in-law was ten years older, and he skipped computers. But then, he skipped mobile phones. Over 90% of Dutch people use computers every day. The remaining 10% is definitely not the demographic that uses a smartphone instead, like my dad-in-law. Just like these days the kids really don't know more about internet than their parents: their parents started using internet when they were in their twenties, and their kids know less.

And in the third world, the people who use mobile phones instead of computers aren't using smart phones. They cannot afford those, so they mostly use feature phones. Or, since very recently, those Asha wanna-be-a-smartphone feature phones that are such a huge success in India. And they still want to use real computers instead.

Reply Score: 6

RE: I doubt that
by darknexus on Mon 27th Aug 2012 18:59 in reply to "I doubt that"
darknexus Member since:
2008-07-15

There simply isn't big generation left that is so old they don't want to use computers. Not in the west.


No, but there are a great deal of people from certain generations that won't touch them. Case in point, most of my relatives (parents, aunts, uncles). My dad, for example, will use a Windows PC when forced to but absolutely hates the things. In contrast, he loves his Android smartphone. It's hard to believe this trend until you've actually seen it, but there it is, and it has nothing at all to do with a generation gap.

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[2]: I doubt that
by Sabon on Mon 27th Aug 2012 22:41 in reply to "RE: I doubt that"
Sabon Member since:
2005-07-06

I agree. My in-laws are in their 70s and were given a computer to use (not too old, still ok) and multiple people sat down with them (on different weekends) trying to find ways to explain things so that they would be easier.

They did figure out how to use it and were just bored with it. Then I took my iPad to their house and they thought, at first, that it was just a photo viewer but then they saw all the other things I could and were very impressed and took to it like, "fish in a pond".

Reply Parent Score: 2