Linked by Thom Holwerda on Fri 28th Sep 2012 21:51 UTC, submitted by MOS6510
General Development "When I started writing programs in the late 80s it was pretty primitive and required a lot of study and skill. I was a young kid doing this stuff, the adults at that time had it even worse and some of them did start in the punch card era. This was back when programmers really had to earn their keep, and us newer generations are losing appreciation for that. A generation or two ago they may have been been better coders than us. More importantly they were better craftsmen, and we need to think about that." I'm no programmer, but I do understand that the current crop of programmers could learn a whole lot from older generations. I'm not going to burn my fingers on if they were better programmers or not, but I do believe they have a far greater understanding of the actual workings of a computer. Does the average 'app developer' have any clue whatsoever about low-level code, let alone something like assembly?
Thread beginning with comment 536944
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
Just statistics
by dorin.lazar on Sat 29th Sep 2012 05:33 UTC
dorin.lazar
Member since:
2006-12-15

I don't think that the older generations were better, they were fewer and most of them were really doing low-level or stuff that were lower level. Now, there are a lot of copy-paste programmers, a lot of mix-and-match programmers that just put things together; without the need to optimize, without the need for better algorithms. These may look as representative, but they are not; SOMEONE is writing the tools for these guys, and those programmers are better. Better than the older generation, better than the current generation.

So it may look like we're invaded by incompetent programmers, and in a sense it is so. Probably you'll have a 60-80% of the general programmers population that wouldn't be able to write a sorting algorithm correctly. But the numbers are far greater, and the rest of 20% are really good programmers, in huge numbers, doing stuff that could never fit the imagination of the normal mainframe developer.

Reply Score: 3

v RE: Just statistics
by mayevski on Sat 29th Sep 2012 05:39 in reply to "Just statistics"
RE[2]: Just statistics
by dorin.lazar on Sat 29th Sep 2012 05:41 in reply to "RE: Just statistics"
dorin.lazar Member since:
2006-12-15

Even so, 1% out of 20 million is far better than 50% out of 50.000

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[2]: Just statistics
by Soulbender on Sat 29th Sep 2012 07:40 in reply to "RE: Just statistics"
Soulbender Member since:
2005-08-18

before expansion of computers to developing countries with no computer or logical thinking background.


Because, you know, the west had computer background built-in from the start even before we had computers...
I'm not even going to start on the "logical thinking" thing, it's just too moronic.

Seriously, wtf?

Reply Parent Score: 6

RE[2]: Just statistics
by phreck on Mon 1st Oct 2012 11:43 in reply to "RE: Just statistics"
phreck Member since:
2009-08-13

Like, for example, India, which has no logical thinking background [0].

---

[0]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_mathematics

Reply Parent Score: 2