Linked by Howard Fosdick on Wed 28th Nov 2012 01:24 UTC
Windows The clock is ticking for XP users, with Microsoft ending support with its final security update after 11 years on April 8, 2014. Netmarketshare's desktop browser statistics show 40% of users are still using XP, totalling about 500 million users (versus Windows 7 at 45% and Vista at 6%). Gartner and Forrester analysts predict that 10% to 20% of enterprise PCs will be running XP after April 2014. Options for companies include: speed up XP conversions, sign up for Microsoft's Custom Support Program for after-retirement support, and add a supported browser to XP to replace unsupported IE8.
Thread beginning with comment 543392
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
by Sodapop on Wed 28th Nov 2012 12:22 UTC
Member since:

I made the switch to Xubuntu six months ago, best decision I ever made. After you get over that '3 day hump' you are fine. Whomever said gaming isn't for Linux users, I disagree. I been having a blast and have amassed quite a collection of native games.

RC Mini Racers was just released, it's like a Revolt clone. Been having lots of fun with that. I never used any Office products so that wasn't a problem for me. Sure I miss some of my games, but they were very old and I found substitutes.

I was a hardcore MS user since 1998. I had zero problems making the switch. Just ditch your MS partition and move that out of your head. I don't why people bash Linux so much, it's silliness, I guess they are afraid.

If you can switch from XP to 8 then you can damn well switch from XP to Linux. No more excuses because I did it. We just need to get rid of the Old hats who think all the software we use in Linux NEEDS to be free and Open, that's what's holding Linux back.

Reply Score: 3

RE: Xubuntu
by ssokolow on Wed 28th Nov 2012 12:38 in reply to "Xubuntu"
ssokolow Member since:

We just need to get rid of the Old hats who think all the software we use in Linux NEEDS to be free and Open, that's what's holding Linux back.

Depends on your definition of "get rid of the Old hats...". Mind clarifying which old hats you're talking about?

1. The ones making platform design decisions that are hostile to closed-source software? Good luck finding any.

I've bought a ton of Humble Indie Bundles and some games off Desura and the only problem I've ever run into is situations where one game requires PulseAudio while another causes it to go crazy.

(And, 99% of the time, that was fixed by teaching the devs that PulseAudio isn't as universal and stable as lennartp told them and suggesting a wrapper like OpenAL instead. The other 1%, I run the Windows version in Wine... which is one of the things that causes PulseAudio to go nuts.)

2. Users who refuse to run closed-source software? Good luck with that.

I have a strict policy that, aside from games (which are too "disposable" to be refined slowly over a decade) the only closed-source allowed on my system is my BIOS (and BIOS != UEFI), my nVidia binary drivers, Flash (until H.264 vs. WebM is settled), Skype (until WebRTC matures), and the copy of Opera I use to test my creations.

...and I'm not an "old hat". I've only been running Linux since part-way through the WinXP lifecycle (less than 10 years) and demand open-source for the same reason I don't run Steam: I prefer to have the power to fix my own problems and hate companies having me by the balls.

3. Developers who refuse to write closed-source software for Linux because they think nobody will use it? I'm all for that.

Goodness knows there are enough old Humble Bundle games that only receive updates for the Windows and Mac ports because their devs don't give a damn.

Edited 2012-11-28 12:40 UTC

Reply Parent Score: 3