Linked by Howard Fosdick on Thu 6th Dec 2012 05:26 UTC
OSNews, Generic OSes With computers now shipping with UEFI Secure Boot enabled, users of any OS other than Windows 8 will want to know how to circumvent it. Jesse Smith of DistroWatch tells how he did it here. The Linux Foundation describes its approach here. If you want to boot an OS other than Windows 8, you'll want to figure this out before you buy that new computer.
Thread beginning with comment 544395
To view parent comment, click here.
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[3]: I did my homework
by lucas_maximus on Thu 6th Dec 2012 13:50 UTC in reply to "RE[2]: I did my homework"
lucas_maximus
Member since:
2009-08-18

System 76 is pretty terrible.

Reply Parent Score: 1

Bill Shooter of Bul Member since:
2006-07-14

Terrible quality wise or terrible because of the high prices? I would buy one, if the prices were more reasonable. Its much cheaper right now ( well, before UEFI secure boot) to just buy better hardware with windows on it and wipe windows off.

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[5]: I did my homework
by lucas_maximus on Thu 6th Dec 2012 15:55 in reply to "RE[4]: I did my homework"
lucas_maximus Member since:
2009-08-18

/* Duplicate Post */

Edited 2012-12-06 16:01 UTC

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[5]: I did my homework
by lucas_maximus on Thu 6th Dec 2012 15:59 in reply to "RE[4]: I did my homework"
lucas_maximus Member since:
2009-08-18

There has been a lot of forum posts on problems with things not working with Linux after kernel upgrades etc.

This is the most notable posts and would put me off:

http://estrip.org/articles/read/tinypliny/54588/System76_Ubuntu_Dis...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1979573

if you google there are quite a few complaints about misleading product photos and patchy quality on the second page

https://www.google.com.gi/search?q=system+76+problems&oq=system+76+p...

IMHO with laptops in my experience, it best to buy dell latitude or lenovo.

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[5]: I did my homework
by Alfman on Thu 6th Dec 2012 16:02 in reply to "RE[4]: I did my homework"
Alfman Member since:
2011-01-28

Bill Shooter of Bul,

Yea, the trouble is that non-windows computers are a niche commodity. It's often difficult to get a no-os computer from a brand name vendor with the benefits of scales of economy. They don't want the trouble of supporting non-windows users when 95% of the customers are windows users and the remaining 5% will buy the windows computers anyways to wipe them.

This ultimately results in less competition selling non-windows computers making that segment even more niche than it already is.

I build my own desktops, but for laptops I still don't have a good solution for my vendor/hardware/price/os requirements.

Reply Parent Score: 2