Linked by Thom Holwerda on Sat 5th Nov 2005 17:51 UTC, submitted by AdriAn Avila
Novell and Ximian Rumors circulating that Novell is going to kill off its popular Linux desktop lines are completely false. [However,] Novell is making one large strategic change. The GNOME interface is going to become the default interface on both the SLES and Novell Linux Desktop line. KDE libraries will be supplied on both, but the bulk of Novell's interface moving forward will be on GNOME. "The entire KDE graphical interface and product family will continue to be supported and delivered on OpenSuSE."
Thread beginning with comment 56479
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.

Member since:

...because of GTK and it's corporate-friendly license. Cool, the LGPL allows everyone and their dog to develop commercial Gnome/ GTK apps for free. But where are those apps? I know of a few commercial GTK applications:
- Acrobat Reader, the closed source GTK reference app.
- Helixplayer, free like Acroread, and developed open source.
- Pagestream, a rare DTP app.
- VMWare, an application where the toolkit doesn't matter at all - they could have used TCL/TK, nobody would have noticed the difference, as the GUI is only used to configure the application.
- Xara for Linux, not released yet, also not a GTK app (uses WxWidgets).

That's not much. commercial desktop Qt/ KDE apps anyone?
- Viva Designer, a DTP application.
- Skype, obviously.
- Opera, obviously.
- Hancom Office, chinese office suite.
- Serna, XML editor.
- FormularManager, tax application.
- QCAD Pro, 2D CAD.
- ARCAD, CAA.
- ...

The list goes on, and you see, there are many more Qt/ KDE closed source apps than GTK apps. Also notice, most closed source Linux apps are from outside the USA, from countries where desktop Linux is more widespread and KDE is the default desktop.

Reply Score: 3

Member since:

>>commercial GTK applications:
- Acrobat Reader
- Helixplayer
- Pagestream
- VMWare
- Xara for Linux
<<

- Nerolinux
- icluster
- transcribe
- mathwords
- netfront
-.....

The list goes on, and you see, you haven't searched hard enough....
... but then this might have killed your false argumentation kde fanboy.

Reply Parent Score: 0

Member since:

Oh my, great apps you listed. Let's dissect that list, shall we?

- NeroLinux: Uses GTK1! Not even GTK2. And the reason is that they used an already existing interface instead of creating their own.
- icluster: Quite unknown shareware app. Not exactly common desktop stuff. But yeah, it uses GTK2.
- transcribe: Shareware. Uses GTK1.
- mathwords? You mean Master Math Words? Shareware, math-learning program for kids. But yes, uses GTK2.
- netfront: Are you serious? That's a browser for mobile phones! There's a Linux SDK for GTK _and_ Qt.

Try again. Maybe you should name some real desktop apps written in GTK. According to the list you posted, GTK is suited for cheap hacks, shareware and kiddy stuff, but not for any serious application development...

Reply Parent Score: 0

Member since:

The list goes on, and you see, there are many more Qt/ KDE closed source apps than GTK apps. Also notice, most closed source Linux apps are from outside the USA, from countries where desktop Linux is more widespread and KDE is the default desktop.

The problem with your argument is, as like most carelessly made and naive comparisons, you cannot compare. Like:

- What is the last time you checked the company address of Opera and Trolltech?

- You attempts to argue about the widespreadness, but how widespread worldwide is e.g. Hancom Office (which is a CJK office suit, not just Chinese, by the way).

Acrobat Reader (last version 3.x) was actually a Motif application. Adobe Reader has not been so long out, and I am wondering who declared it to a "GTK reference application" (which would be GIMP as in "GIMP Toolkit").

And you clearly attempts to discredit products like VMware. It does not matter whether they could use something else - this is true for a lot of products. But they chose it, whether it is VMware or Skype.

You also ignore other factors that contribute to the decision. Opera is designed to share source code between different platforms. GTK is not designed with cross-plattform in mide as like Qt.

More issue arises with commercial applications because not even your assertion GTK = GNOME and Qt = KDE is true. Many of the applications you listed made the decision on toolkit, not desktop.

Reply Parent Score: 0

Member since:

> What is the last time you checked the company
> address of Opera and Trolltech?

Uhm... Does it matter? And if so, why? First of all, both companies' headquarters are in Europe. And I said most commercial Linux _applications_ come from outside the US, which is quite easy to see.

> You attempts to argue about the widespreadness, but
> how widespread worldwide is e.g. Hancom Office
> (which is a CJK office suit, not just Chinese, by
> the way).

I wrote about widespread use of Linux as an desktop OS, not about the widepread use of the applications. It doesn't really matter how widespread Hancom Office is. If I want to develop a desktop application for Linux (even if portability doesn't matter), I would try to use a toolkit that feels native on _my_ desktop, especially if there are only two choices anyway - with similar market share. And I need to correct myself, Hancom is a Korean company...

> Acrobat Reader (last version 3.x) was actually a
> Motif application. Adobe Reader has not been so
> long out, and I am wondering who declared it to a
> "GTK reference application" (which would be GIMP as
> in "GIMP Toolkit").

The last Acroread using Motif was 5.0, not 3.x. And it's the only real closed source desktop GTK2 application, that makes it sort of a reference application. Since we're talking about commercial closed source applications, GIMP doesn't matter.

> And you clearly attempts to discredit products like
> VMware. It does not matter whether they could use
> something else - this is true for a lot of products.
> But they chose it, whether it is VMware or Skype.

You didn't get the point. The user interface doesn't matter at all for VMWare. Because you don't _work_ with VMWare's interface, you set it up, start the VM, and that's it. It doesn't matter if the interface/ toolkit is buggy as hell, slow, un-intuitive or butt-ugly. For a desktop app like Skype the toolkit matters (integration, look, speed, memory footprint).

Reply Parent Score: 2