Linked by Thom Holwerda on Sat 5th Nov 2005 17:51 UTC, submitted by AdriAn Avila
Novell and Ximian Rumors circulating that Novell is going to kill off its popular Linux desktop lines are completely false. [However,] Novell is making one large strategic change. The GNOME interface is going to become the default interface on both the SLES and Novell Linux Desktop line. KDE libraries will be supplied on both, but the bulk of Novell's interface moving forward will be on GNOME. "The entire KDE graphical interface and product family will continue to be supported and delivered on OpenSuSE."
Thread beginning with comment 56921
To view parent comment, click here.
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[7]: Developer's POV
by Mystilleef on Sun 6th Nov 2005 16:30 UTC in reply to "RE[6]: Developer's POV"
Mystilleef
Member since:
2005-06-29

Ali, just stop please. The more you talk the more you expose your ignorance.

If the GTK+ toolbar object was designed correctly then it would allow us to do this (out of the object itself)

a) describe whether we want handles or not (to drag the toolbar out of the app or align it horizontally, vertically, at the bottom or the top or inside other toolbar elements)


I have written GNOME apps, and I know the GTK+ toolbar class/object allows you to set this up.

b) allows us to globally set the icon size (as KDE offers this possibility by right clicking on the toolbar object)

Are you kidding me?

c) allows us to globally edit the toolbar and save the results in a configuration file so it stays permanent.

No shit! What is UIManager is GTK+ for? There is even a library that gives you a toolbar editor for free.

d) react on global changes set through control center.

You don't even have to write any code for this. It is the default behavior.

But of course, if you knew what you were saying to begin with, I wouldn't be writing this comment.

You are a sad case, truly.

Reply Parent Score: 1

RE[8]: Developer's POV
by on Sun 6th Nov 2005 17:02 in reply to "RE[7]: Developer's POV"
Member since:

> I have written GNOME apps, and I know the GTK+ toolbar
> class/object allows you to set this up.

So did I and it's not based on gay ass python language.

http://img130.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotgenesihome2hl.pn...

> What is UIManager is GTK+ for? There is even a library
> that gives you a toolbar editor for free.

GtkUIManager is the right keyword for it and I am using it for my own project too. But that's not the point, there are still a lot of applications which are not using GtkUIManager or alter the attributes of the toolbar.

> You don't even have to write any code for this. It is
> the default behavior.

No you don't but if you would have tested what I wrote then you would realize that I was right.

Start up GNUMERIC, ABIWORD, GEDIT, NAUTILUS and go to the gnome-control center (Menus and Toolbar) and try altering the toolbars. Now click on the 'deatachable toolbars' setting and see if you get that in GNUMERIC, then try setting TEXT below ICONS and see what happens with GNUMERIC (and then try testing this with all the other apps you got).

> But of course, if you knew what you were saying to
> begin with, I wouldn't be writing this comment.

I can say the same about you but unless you, I am able to prove what I wrote. Simply take a look at this movie and wait until the toolbar section shows up ;)

http://zerv.internetcafe.nl/~nexu/lol/gnome-the-movie.avi

Reply Parent Score: -1

RE[9]: Developer's POV
by on Sun 6th Nov 2005 18:58 in reply to "RE[8]: Developer's POV"
Member since:

I dont really want to say anything. But I think you are possibly going way off base into a pointless argument here.

The GTK toolbar classes are just fine and developers can make all the applications have the same infrastructure pretty easily. They dont.....and neither does the people who use KDE and the Qt toolkit.

Why the hell are you comparing how the icon sets toolbars (and that is all u are focusing on) is different in one application to the next. Get real. KDE has the same damn problem because you dont have to use the QT toolbox classes to create your program.

I have no clear idea as to the point you are proving. You keep talking toolbars, toolbars, toolbars in some vain desperate attempt to mathematically prove how kde is more usable then gnome. Meanwhile the toolbars in kde have no standard between applications. For each application the buttons are arranged differently, some applications dont even have toolbars, some qt applications look nothing like other qt applications, and kde allows people to use none kde applications. So its a moot point.

You seem to have a VERY poor grasp behind the purpose of a framework and when and what is used within it. Your crying because different applications have different toolbar sizes........mabey because they are different applications. I mean look at the screenshot you provided. Do you want gedit to really have the same size toolbar as gnumeric. Hell no. Gnumeric has leagues more frequently used icons. I DONT want some huge toolbox with the same icon size. And at the same time, I DONT want 5 tiny little icons that are the same size for gedit (ala kwrite). Your argument is stupid not because of what you said, but how u seem to stand by how having the same size toolbars for apps is a fact that the DE is better. You might like it better and that ok, but please dont pound it into my head that that makes kde better. OSX doesnt have same size and form toolbars across all apps, neither does windows. Thankfully the same can be said about gnome, and its not because GTK is unable to facilitate it.

Reply Parent Score: 0

RE[9]: Developer's POV
by Mystilleef on Sun 6th Nov 2005 19:40 in reply to "RE[8]: Developer's POV"
Mystilleef Member since:
2005-06-29

So did I and it's not based on gay ass python language.

Wake me up when C has real OO and half the dynamism, power and flexibility of Python. And for the record, I've written apps in languages from COBOL, to C, to Java and many more.

By the way, what's the name of this so-called app you have written, and where can I download it? For someone who spouts so much crap about GNOME, I'd like to take your perfect GNOME application for a spin.

I won't respond to your other retorts because quite frankly, I'd be wasting my time if I did.

Reply Parent Score: 1