Linked by Thom Holwerda on Sat 5th Nov 2005 17:51 UTC, submitted by AdriAn Avila
Novell and Ximian Rumors circulating that Novell is going to kill off its popular Linux desktop lines are completely false. [However,] Novell is making one large strategic change. The GNOME interface is going to become the default interface on both the SLES and Novell Linux Desktop line. KDE libraries will be supplied on both, but the bulk of Novell's interface moving forward will be on GNOME. "The entire KDE graphical interface and product family will continue to be supported and delivered on OpenSuSE."
Thread beginning with comment 57031
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[13]: Developer's POV
by Mystilleef on Sun 6th Nov 2005 20:44 UTC
Mystilleef
Member since:
2005-06-29

Care to explain where I lied ?

Sure, I'll point one of your numerous attempts.

Ali wrote:

If the GTK+ toolbar object was designed correctly then it would allow us to do this (out of the object itself)

a) describe whether we want handles or not (to drag the toolbar out of the app or align it horizontally, vertically, at the bottom or the top or inside other toolbar elements)

b) allows us to globally set the icon size (as KDE offers this possibility by right clicking on the toolbar object)

c) allows us to globally edit the toolbar and save the results in a configuration file so it stays permanent.

d) react on global changes set through control center.


If you have actually really written a GNOME application as opposed to copying and pasting code of the internet, you'd know GKT+ allows you to do all these.

What was wrong about the toolbar issue ? I mean everyone with brains can test the same stuff on their own machines.

What's wrong is that it is stupid for all toolbars to have the same attributes because different applications are constrained by different needs. Something your 24 years of programming should have made obvious to you.

I think you are the one here who don't know anything about the GNOME framework, but then you are just hacking along a silly editor in python while we already have Gedit which is much more powerful. Do you have users for your tools ?

Scribes is one of my pet GNOME projects. And yes, it is has a lot of features that Gedit doesn't have it will have more. And yes, I do have a community of users with thousands of downloads. And for someone who doesn't know shit about how the GTK+ toolbar class/objects work, you have a lot of nerves questioning my knowledge about GNOME. I don't claim to be a GURU, but even a toddler knows GTK+ allows you to do everything you say it doesn't. Quit copying and pasting code from other projects, and actually go read the GTK+ manual sometime.


a) I don't need to fix anything,
b) I write my stuff for my own needs,
c) I don't owe you or anyone else unaccountable of what I do.
d) 0.1.4 don't suffer from the things you said but it's not released.


This is the same person who tells everyone GNOME developers are jerks, don't fix bugs in their software and don't listen to users. It is worthless wasting my time with you. Good day.

Reply Score: 1

RE[14]: Developer's POV
by on Sun 6th Nov 2005 20:51 in reply to "RE[13]: Developer's POV"
Member since:

> What's wrong is that it is stupid for all toolbars to
> have the same attributes because different applications
> are constrained by different needs. Something your 24
> years of programming should have made obvious to you.

You still don't get the point ! Are you doing this on purpose ?

> This is the same person who tells everyone GNOME
> developers are jerks, don't fix bugs in their software
> and don't listen to users.

Not all are jerks but the majority are - from my past 6 years where I tried to contribute to GNOME I happen to came to this conclusion. Besides that my application is not part of the GNOME desktop. You know the desktop that is ready for "corporate" needs but lack basic features. I didn't hang a sign around my neck saying "Atlantis is ready for corporate" because I know it's not but GNOME did hang out that sign for years and they deserve what they get.

About the jerk issue again, If you happen to have dealt with GNOME developers, like contributing patches, trying to innovate, or simply try to come up with own ideas then you know what I talk about. Most of the shit they tell you is either ignorance, telling you to put everything you have on bgo so they don't need to talk with you and forget about your bugreports or if you happen to have some really good ideas it's being talked to death or your ideas are being turned into a troll attempt. Hell god know's how many contributors GNOME lost in the past years due to that very bad attitude. You seem to be one of those people whom working with should really be avoided.

Reply Parent Score: 0

RE[15]: Developer's POV
by on Sun 6th Nov 2005 21:06 in reply to "RE[14]: Developer's POV"
Member since:

Calling the majority of gnome developers jerks wont get you anywhere. You dont know the process by which they move foward and how much information and request they get daily.

It would sound a bit more professional.....and more reflective of having 24 years of programming experience, if u criticized their development model or process, rather then calling the developers flat out jerks.

Personally I find it better then how KDE does things. I dont like how things seem to change spontaneously and randomly. And how things are introduced slowly. I aint gonna say its a bad model.....because some people like it. Its just that I dont. Meanwhile you are giving the vibe that gnome this sucks and gnome that sucks. I might come off like you, but im going to say thats immature.

Reply Parent Score: 0