Linked by Thom Holwerda on Fri 10th Jan 2014 01:56 UTC
Windows

Although Apple and Google officially sit out the biggest tech trade show of the year, their platforms are well represented by the third parties that create thousands of products for them. This year it feels like Microsoft is simply being left out.

Windows has virtually no presence in the two biggest things to hit computing in a long time, and it's starting to show. Microsoft may not be in trouble - but Windows is.

Thread beginning with comment 580370
To view parent comment, click here.
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[4]: Comment by Nelson
by jockm on Fri 10th Jan 2014 02:50 UTC in reply to "RE[3]: Comment by Nelson"
jockm
Member since:
2012-12-22

Tablets are rising like crazy. Microsoft has no presence here.


No presence in tablets? I am not saying Windows 8/Windows RT tablets are going gangbusters but they do have a presence in tablets.

It also gets more complicated because x86 windows 8.x tablets aren't counted as tablets in most of the numbers I have seen. I own a iPad, but I also own (and love) a Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx; and use it in the exact same way as I do my iPad 95% of the time (the other 5% is for programming Microcontrollers, CPLDs, and FPGAs that are poorly supported on OSX*).

So you want to amend that assessment?

*: Before anyone suggests a Windows VM, JTAG programmers and other ISP programmers have poor support in VMs.

Reply Parent Score: 1

RE[5]: Comment by Nelson
by Bill Shooter of Bul on Fri 10th Jan 2014 07:33 in reply to "RE[4]: Comment by Nelson"
Bill Shooter of Bul Member since:
2006-07-14

I think Thom is fairly accurate there. Although most numbers will miss touch screen windows 8 pcs, I don't think they've really taken off. At least judging by the non-scientific, what do my non-tech friends purchase test. They have purchased windows 8 notebooks with non touch screens and are kind of confused why they can't touch the screen, even though it looks like you should be able to ( people do it on tv!).

On the otherhand, its obvious Microsoft paid a ton of money to get their products placed in tv shows that used to be the exclusive domain of apple. Now every show I watch there is a paid placement ad scripted in, where the crime lab grabs a surface like thing pans through the start menu to find something, then goes all zooming through the interface before casually attaching the keyboard and start typing some notes in another program to the chagrin of the older less tech savvy main character as he mutters to himself with a raised eyebrow "Wow tablet AND a pc In one amazing device", before shaking his head and resuming focus on the international terrorist drug dealers of the week.

Reply Parent Score: 7

RE[6]: Comment by Nelson
by jockm on Sat 11th Jan 2014 19:41 in reply to "RE[5]: Comment by Nelson"
jockm Member since:
2012-12-22

Thom said Microsoft has no presence in tablets, and that is simply not true. It would be correct if — like windows phone — he said they had virtually no presence, but that isn't what he did.

I am also of the opinion that WinRT tablets and 8.x tablets should be grouped together since they are united by Metro and apps can be written that work on both without modification (just different compiler targets).

As such I don't think you can argue that Microsoft has no presence in tablets. But I do think it is another example of one of Thom's biases poking though when it shouldn't.

Reply Parent Score: 2