The FreeBSD team has released FreeBSD 7.3, the fourth release of the 7-STABLE branch. There will be one more release in this branch, but at this point, most developers are already working on the 8-STABLE branch. FreeBSD 7.3 focusses on bug fixes, but has a few new features as well.
Among other things, the main improvements are as follows:
- ZFS updated to version 13
- new boot loader gptzfsboot supports GPT and ZFS
- hwpmc(4) enhancements including support for Core2/i7 processor and pmcannotate(8)
- new mfiutil and mptutil tools for widely used RAID controllers
- NULL pointer vulnerability mitigation
- bind updated to 9.4-ESV
- Gnome updated to 2.28.2
- KDE updated to 4.3.5
- Perl updated to 5.10
You can of course read the release notes for more information, and then proceed to the errata list. Available for the amd64, i386, pc98, and sparc64 architecture, download locations can be found in the release announcement.