Linked by Thom Holwerda on Thu 11th Apr 2013 21:16 UTC
PDAs, Cellphones, Wireless "A recent poll by MKM Partners reveals that an overwhelming 83% of Americans do not know that BlackBerry has launched their new BlackBerry Z10 smartphone or new Blackberry 10 platform. The company's trouble does not just include marketing woes. The Wall Street Journal reports that over 50% of customers have returned their BlackBerry smartphones after trying out the platform. That is not to say that BlackBerry hasn't reached the top of any list. We learned today that BlackBerry is the most undesirable smart phone, learning that 71% of people would not consider the BlackBerry under any circumstances." BlackBerry denies the return rate figures, but that still leaves the others. This is devastating.
Thread beginning with comment 558308
To view parent comment, click here.
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[2]: Re:
by sparkyERTW on Fri 12th Apr 2013 12:59 UTC in reply to "RE: Re:"
Member since:

I agree with you, people will not want to repurchase apps, but logically that doesn't make a lot of sense. You are paying hundreds of dollars for a new phone and thousands for the service. How much do people spend on mobile apps, $20-30? It shouldn't really matter, but it does.

Holy hit-the-nail-on-the-head, Batman. People pay $50-60 a month - some even more - but balk at shelling out half of that once for what would likely be their entire app collection. Mind-boggling.

Admittedly I'm not huge on buying apps to begin with, but that's more because a) I'm not a big fan of proprietary software, b) half the time I feel like the app experience is a watered-down, broken version of a proper web-app or a desktop app that has been trimmed down to the point it's no longer useful, and c) 95% of the stuff is time-wasting games and social media, and I neither need to be a ninja of fruit nor do you need to know that I just "checked-in" at Beuaford's Bacon Boutique.

Reply Parent Score: 4

RE[3]: Re:
by WorknMan on Fri 12th Apr 2013 15:52 in reply to "RE[2]: Re:"
WorknMan Member since:

Admittedly I'm not huge on buying apps to begin with, but that's more because a) I'm not a big fan of proprietary software

It's amazing how many people expect developers to work for free. Sure, maybe you can make money giving away open source software when you're selling complicated server stuff that you can charge support for, but devs building < $5 phone apps really don't have that luxury. So why not cut them some slack?

Sure, as you say, 95% of the offerings are crap, But I am happy to pay for the other 5%. Especially when the apps aren't infected with adware.

Reply Parent Score: 3

RE[4]: Re:
by woegjiub on Fri 12th Apr 2013 22:47 in reply to "RE[3]: Re:"
woegjiub Member since:

There are FOSS apps for nearly everything now, excepting useless rubbish like Facebook and twitter.

I have completely swapped to the f-droid repository, and have had no problems, except that I had to grab apks from my keyboard's website (it's also FOSS, though, so that was no problem)

I fail to see why anyone should expect money unless they are creating bespoke apps.
Everything else can be done in he free time of individuals, because phone apps are simple.

Reply Parent Score: 3