Mic.com has obtained a long list of e-mails from primarily female Apple employees (but also a few male employees), detailing a sexist culture inside the company that nobody seems to want to address. The 50 pages of e-mails were handed to Mic by an Apple employee, and obviously, all people involved have been anonymised.
“With such love for a company that does so much good, it is with a heavy heart that I declare my resignation from Apple,” a former employee wrote in an email obtained by Mic. “Despite all attempts to seek justice within this corporation, the cries of several minority employees about the toxic and oppressive environment have gone unanswered. I have witnessed the complete and utter disenfranchising of the voices of men and women of color and the fault lies not only in the direct management staff but in the response of those tasked with protecting employee rights. I write this letter hoping to highlight the areas that these departments have failed to properly support employees and as such have hence left Apple, Inc. culpable for various EEOC and ethical violations.”
According to Claire*, “several people” who have quit, citing a “white, male, Christian, misogynist, sexist environment,” were not given exit interviews. “Their departure is being written up as a positive attrition,” she told Mic.
This obviously – but sadly – doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. Silicon Valley is an inherently toxic environment dominated by white males, and despite all the talk from Tim Cook and various company bloggers, Apple is not the special diversity flowerchild farting rainbows and puking unicorn dust it claims to be. I mean, this is a company who considers having a Canadian speaking on stage during an event as “diversity”.
From these emails, a picture emerges of a company culture actively trying to get women to leave, actively preventing them from getting into mid-level and top-level leadership positions. From everything I’ve ever heard about Silicon Valley culture – this is par for the course, no matter the company.
This article is an exceptional example of bullshit: strong on condemnation, very light on facts and quotations and contains mutually exclusive statements. Eg. how a 32% women environment may happen to be “male” and “misogynist”? All of remaining 68% Apple employees are misogynist, and only they contribute to corporate environment? Bullshit.
If Apple was a brothel, lack of gender diversity would be an issue. If Apple was in model agency business, racial diversity would be important. If Apple was a prison, lack of religeous diversity would be a concern. But Apple is in business of computer hardware and software; the only diversity that counts here is diversity of thought.
Edited 2016-09-14 22:54 UTC