Linked by Thom Holwerda on Mon 15th Feb 2010 15:47 UTC
Windows So, after much, much speculation and many, many rumours, Microsoft finally took the wraps off Windows Phone 7 Series, its newest mobile operating system. Hold on to your hats, because uncharacteristically for the Redmond giant, they've rebuilt everything from the ground up - this system has little to no connection to the Windows Mobile of yore. I don't say this lightly - but dear lord, Windows Phone 7 Series is full of win. Update: Hands-on video from Engadget inside. Update II: There is no sync application. It's all done over-the-air, to the internet. Only videos and music are synced via the Zune software. Update III: Since I didn't mention it clearly, here it goes: Windows Phone 7 Series is a clean break. There is no backwards compatibility at all. Update IV: Channel9 has a 22-minute in-depth demonstration of Windows Phone 7 Series.
Thread beginning with comment 409452
To view parent comment, click here.
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[5]: Comment by Kroc
by Thom_Holwerda on Mon 15th Feb 2010 16:42 UTC in reply to "RE[4]: Comment by Kroc"
Thom_Holwerda
Member since:
2005-06-29

So it's not 5% of the the market, I'd bet it's probably more like 15-20% of the *target* market.


That's actually a really good point. Don't know if we can prove any of it, but it makes sense. Hadn't thought of that.

So it might be worth their while after all. I'm sure they're doing their homework on that one.

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[6]: Comment by Kroc
by thavith_osn on Mon 15th Feb 2010 22:28 in reply to "RE[5]: Comment by Kroc"
thavith_osn Member since:
2005-07-11

MS write Office for the Mac, why would they bother to write an entire Office suite (it's not a straight port) for a small market?

I think this phone will be supported on the Mac.

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[7]: Comment by Kroc
by Blackadder on Tue 16th Feb 2010 00:01 in reply to "RE[6]: Comment by Kroc"
Blackadder Member since:
2010-02-03

That's not really a very good comparison.

Office for Mac started before Office was Office, i.e. 1984 with word and later on powerpoint. Apple was the king and Microsoft had no choice but to support them. It also had virtually had no viable competition and as of today remains the dominant office suite on Mac. Although iWorks is making some inroads, Microsoft will continue to have a very large chunk of the Mac office productivity market for the foreseeable future.

Windows Phone on the other hand is new so it makes a lot of sense to initially avoid a relatively tiny Mac/Linux market sector which is also mostly hostile towards Microsoft.

If Windows Phone becomes popular and proves successful and Microsoft captures as much of the 90% of the Windows market as it could, then it would make business sense to go after the remaining 10%, i.e. the niche. Before that time comes, the overhead cost is not worth it.

Reply Parent Score: 1

RE[7]: Comment by Kroc
by Fettarme H-Milch on Tue 16th Feb 2010 23:39 in reply to "RE[6]: Comment by Kroc"
Fettarme H-Milch Member since:
2010-02-16

MS write Office for the Mac, why would they bother to write an entire Office suite (it's not a straight port) for a small market?

Have you ever actually used Mac software from Microsoft?
I've used Office:mac X, 2004, and 2008.
Not only are its apps buggy and super slow, the development is slow as well. For the longest time Office:mac wasn't even capable to read Unicode! Office:mac itself also wasn't able to read and write OOXML files (NeoOffice was).
After all those years Microsoft Messenger is still not capable of AV chat!

I think this phone will be supported on the Mac.

Just like Zune? Oh, wait... Zune isn't supported.

Reply Parent Score: 1