Linked by Thom Holwerda on Fri 3rd May 2013 21:32 UTC
Google "After reading all the reviews, and talking to people who actually wore Glass, I just see a product plagued by bugs, and of questionable use, that's generating a lot of buzz because people want so desperately to have some new gadget to latch onto, and fear being wrong about the next major technology trend." Nobody wants a computer in their home. Nobody wants a cell phone and always be connected. Nobody wants an iPhone. The current version of this line? Nobody wants Glass. "I haven't worn Glass." Oh right.
Thread beginning with comment 560430
To view parent comment, click here.
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
RE[2]: Resistance is Futile
by M.Onty on Fri 3rd May 2013 23:06 UTC in reply to "RE: Resistance is Futile"
M.Onty
Member since:
2009-10-23

... deleted my Facebook account because I didn't need it. When people find out about this, they look at me like I'm some sort of alien!

I never got one. Was compelled to discuss this at great length over & over during university, as if it was as inexplicable as, say, refusing to talk to anyone on Tuesdays.

Have you thought maybe not everything is made for everybody?

Well, it sort of is, from the manufacturers point of view. The inevitable final outcome of the industrial revolution.

From the individual's point of view though, you're completely right. I enjoy tech of all kinds, but have come to realise that beyond a minimum level it ceases to augment my life; instead distracting me from things I enjoy much more. Like being in a pub. Or watching the dog get confused by a bumble bee. Or reading novels. Or just not be plugged into to anything at all for a while so you can actually think.

Once you've established the base level, I reckon its best to try & resist the urge to equip yourself any further lest you begin to lose grip on the difference between momentary distraction & deep satisfaction.

Not that this relates specifically to Google Glass. Some people will like it. I might. I hope we don't ever go completely the opposite way to the the author of that article & consider it weird to not wear it.

Reply Parent Score: 4

RE[3]: Resistance is Futile
by WorknMan on Fri 3rd May 2013 23:22 in reply to "RE[2]: Resistance is Futile"
WorknMan Member since:
2005-11-13

From the individual's point of view though, you're completely right. I enjoy tech of all kinds, but have come to realise that beyond a minimum level it ceases to augment my life


That being the case, you're not using it correctly. Admittedly, 95% of it is just time-wasting fluff, but the other 5% can be invaluable once you learn to harness it. I couldn't imagine living without these tools, at least not in this society. If I were in a third world country without electricity and running water, then sure ...

As for folks using phones and such in public, people really should stop passing judgment, as you have no idea what they're doing with them. Maybe they're just chatting on Facebook or playing games, but as long as they're not talking loudly or walking in front of traffic, why do you care? I've got friends on G+ who will post pictures of other people taking photos with their tablets, for no other reason than to ridicule them. Really? Is your life so f**king bankrupt that you have nothing better to do with your time?

As for Google Glass, I am half-blind and can barely see well enough to drive. Even then, I am limited as to where I can go, without having to take a bus or a cab. I am extremely interested in how technologies like Google Glass can help me in this regard, although I suppose their self-driving cars will be much more of a benefit for me ;) lol

Reply Parent Score: 2

RE[4]: Resistance is Futile
by M.Onty on Fri 3rd May 2013 23:40 in reply to "RE[3]: Resistance is Futile"
M.Onty Member since:
2009-10-23


That being the case, you're not using it correctly. Admittedly, 95% of it is just time-wasting fluff, but the other 5% can be invaluable once you learn to harness it. I couldn't imagine living without these tools, at least not in this society. If I were in a third world country without electricity and running water, then sure ...

If you can use it correctly then its within that minimum level. I didn't mean to imply it was necessarily a low minimum level. Its different for different people. Some peoples' lives are enhanced by certain tech, some aren't. That's not a Luddite perspective to my mind.

As for folks using phones and such in public, people really should stop passing judgment, as you have no idea what they're doing with them. Maybe they're just chatting on Facebook or playing games, but as long as they're not talking loudly or walking in front of traffic, why do you care? I've got friends on G+ who will post pictures of other people taking photos with their tablets, for no other reason than to ridicule them. Really? Is your life so f**king bankrupt that you have nothing better to do with your time?

Not sure if you're directing this at me or not. On the chance that you were: I use my phone in public too & am not hugely interested passing judgement on others without knowing their circumstances, just as you say.

As for Google Glass, I am half-blind and can barely see well enough to drive. Even then, I am limited as to where I can go, without having to take a bus or a cab. I am extremely interested in how technologies like Google Glass can help me in this regard, although I suppose their self-driving cars will be much more of a benefit for me ;) lol

One of the most interesting things that can come out of Google Glass will be enhanced edge detection & so on for visually impaired people. There's a hell of a lot you could do with today's processors in on-the-fly image processing to help those with poor or residual sight. That would not be a distraction!

Reply Parent Score: 4