Linked by fvillanustre on Sun 1st May 2011 21:51 UTC
Linux "Qubes OS comes from an elegant concept: if you can isolate functional components within disposable containers, and you can separate those components that can be tainted through their interaction with the outside world from the core subsystems, you stand a good chance to preserve the integrity and security of the base Operating System at the possible expense of needing to jump through some hoops to move data around the system. All in all it sounds like a good proposition if it can be demonstrated to be practical." Read the full review.
Thread beginning with comment 471634
To view parent comment, click here.
To read all comments associated with this story, please click here.
Member since:

For probably 90% of most corporate/enterprise users the performance penalty paid by all this virtualization/context switching would be negligible on current hardware compared to the needs of the task that is putting the system at risk

I hate when people say 'For 90% of users out there...". What they're really saying is "we're about to piss off the other 10%", and I always seem to be a part of that 10%.

It is even worse. What is actually true is that 90% of the _time_ users don't use more than 10% of the system. But that single time that you need to do something and you can't makes you switch back to full featured versions.

Edited 2011-05-03 11:25 UTC

Reply Parent Score: 2