The Ark Linux team has announced the immediate availability of Ark Linux 1.0 alpha 11, a new version of its easy to use, easy to learn desktop operating system.Highlights of this new release include:
– KDE (the graphical user interface) has been updated to 3.2.1, introducing many changes and usability improvements, in particular to the mail program.
– 3D acceleration support for the VIA CLE266 graphics chipset has been added
– The recently released 2.6.x series Linux kernels will now work without needing any other changes to the system
– kynaptic replaces synaptic as the package manager. Kynaptic is leaner, easier to use, and more consistent with the look and feel of the rest of the system
– GTK based applications now use the normal (Qt) widget style so they share the look of the other applications.
– System security has been improved
– Support for nForce 2/nForce 3 onboard sound chips has been added.
– The “Wine” Windows(tm) emulator has been updated to the current version, and integrated better with the system. Just clicking on a .exe file will launch it; inserting a CD-Autorun capable Windows CD will launch the installer.
– The kmymoney2 finance manager has been added
– Many bugfixes and speedups