- The announcement text was an early draft, and the contest hasn't been announced yet.
- One of the immediate pieces of feedback we got was that we need to make it more clear: this is not about replacing the beastie!
- We're looking to create a new logo that can be used with the Beastie, or by itself. One of the specific concerns we have is that the daemon renders poorly in print using one-color, two-color, etc, and we need a vector logo, not just a mascot. Another was finding a logo that could be conveniently and easily printed by vendors on packaging for products that support FreeBSD. Not all vendors are willing to stick a Daemon on their packaging!
- We anticipate releasing the real announcement in the near future, at the logo-contest.freebsd.org URL. When it's ready, we'll send out e-mail to freebsd-announce, and we'll drop you a direct e-mail.
- Once again we've been reminded of an important lesson: don't put something on the web site if it's not ready to be seen. After at least three premature postings of FreeBSD releases on slashdot due to files starting to appear on the FTP mirrors even though the announcement hadn't been sent, you'd think we'd have learned.
Robert N M Watson