Linked by David Adams on Fri 30th Nov 2007 19:21 UTC, submitted by vermaden
BSD and Darwin derivatives The first of the Release Candidate builds for FreeBSD 6.3 is now available. There is one more Release Candidate planned, which will be followed by the release unless a major show-stopper issue crops up during testing.
Order by: Score:
Just CSUPed
by Chezz on Fri 30th Nov 2007 22:25 UTC
Chezz
Member since:
2005-07-11

I have just 'csup'ed my server the system is running smoooooth ;)

Reply Score: 3

Nice...
by sonic2000gr on Fri 30th Nov 2007 23:49 UTC
sonic2000gr
Member since:
2007-05-20

but everybody seems to be waiting for (the soon to come as well) FreeBSD 7 ;)

Reply Score: 3

RE: Nice...
by JamesTRexx on Sat 1st Dec 2007 00:02 UTC in reply to "Nice..."
JamesTRexx Member since:
2005-11-06

For my laptop, yes, but my servers will keep running 6.x until 7.2 probably.
I prefer to use a bit more mature version on there.

Reply Score: 3

RE: Nice...
by Flatland_Spider on Sat 1st Dec 2007 08:02 UTC in reply to "Nice..."
Flatland_Spider Member since:
2006-09-01

Yeah, the ULE scheduler looks to be a hot piece of code. ;)

It's nice to see that the 6 series will continue on. It's a great series and will hold it's own while the 7 series matures.

Reply Score: 3

Great
by anomie on Sat 1st Dec 2007 04:18 UTC
anomie
Member since:
2007-02-26

I have two servers that I intend to consistently keep on legacy prod, so any progress on 6.3 is well received. I'm looking forward to finally moving away from 5.5 (not because it's been troublesome in the least, but because there are some practical improvements in 6.x for me).

---

As a tangent, I can't understand why the first two (seemingly innocuous) comments were modded down. Maybe we can lighten up a bit.

Reply Score: 4

RE: Great
by Doc Pain on Sat 1st Dec 2007 22:17 UTC in reply to "Great"
Doc Pain Member since:
2006-10-08

"I have two servers that I intend to consistently keep on legacy prod, so any progress on 6.3 is well received."

I'm not sure if I should put 7.0 on my systems as soon as it arrives, or install the next (and maybe last) release of 6.x instead, just having to install 7.1 very soon...

Someone help me! I can't decide, I need a command! :-)

"I'm looking forward to finally moving away from 5.5 (not because it's been troublesome in the least, but because there are some practical improvements in 6.x for me)."

I've still got two 5.x systems that run very well, so I would not have a reason to update due to missing functionality, but it usually causes problems when I attempt to install and try out new software ("bleeding edge" ones). Okay, it's not that 5.x systems will break apart when 7.0 arrives, but...

Reply Score: 3