Linked by Andrew Youll on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 06:10 UTC, submitted by anonymous
Windows Is the official new name for the Longhorn operating system is Microsoft Windows Vista? Flexbeta seems to think so, and has posted a domain registration from MS that seems to support this idea. Update: Looks like it's official.
Order by: Score:
v Windows Vista
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 06:14 UTC
v RE: Windows Vista
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 06:17 UTC in reply to "Windows Vista"
v P.H.
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 06:17 UTC
Hasta La Vista
by Network23 on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 06:24 UTC
Network23
Member since:
2005-07-11

What a stupid name.

Microhasta La Vista. Now I'm switching to MacOS X.

Microsoft has lost it. No innovation. Nothing to look forward to, promised features beeing deleted from Longhorn every day. Clueless MBA n00bs have destroyed the company, with new versions nobody wants, leaving only a desperate Ballmer buying all security-, antivirus- and antyspyware companies he can find.

All new fun is happening with Apple and MacOSX.

Ten years from now, there won't be a Microsoft.

Reply Score: 3

RE: Hasta La Vista
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 06:28 UTC in reply to "Hasta La Vista"
Anonymous Member since:
---

what ever you say Mr Nostradamus. I hope you are there after 10 years to see it ;)

Reply Score: 0

RE: Hasta La Vista
by Anonymous on Sun 24th Jul 2005 12:32 UTC in reply to "Hasta La Vista"
Anonymous Member since:
---

Windows "view"? You gotta be kidding! (vista = view in Spanish, for those of you who aren't bilingual)

Reply Score: 0

hasta la vista
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 06:30 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Hasta la vista baby (OS).

Reply Score: 0

Vista Meaning
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 06:32 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

the visual percept of a region; "the most desirable feature of the park are the beautiful views"

I like the name.

Reply Score: 0

Vista Meaning
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 06:33 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

the visual percept of a region; "the most desirable feature of the park are the beautiful views"

I like the name. Way better than Tiger or Bear or OS-XXX etc

Reply Score: 0

Ok...
by joelito_pr on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 06:36 UTC
joelito_pr
Member since:
2005-07-07

The name sounds odd for a windows versio, however this is not an oficial announcment so maybe vista will be the name of another incoming product

Reply Score: 1

Anonymous
Member since:
---

April 1st registration date.

And no way Microsoft would
a) register a domain .us for it's flagship product and
b) would have locked this date in 3 months ago and registered it and not have it leaked until now.

Reply Score: 1

k.g.stoyanov Member since:
2005-07-12

and i dont think that any MS domain will ends with .us...

Reply Score: 1

vista, mista, i dont care
by k.g.stoyanov on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 07:01 UTC
k.g.stoyanov
Member since:
2005-07-12

the name is not importnant, importnant is the performance and the compatibility -} what of this will have new win? i think nothing...

Reply Score: 1

re:vista, mista, i dont care
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 07:17 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

the name is not importnant, importnant is the performance and the compatibility -} what of this will have new win? i think nothing...

Yes,and a tough security system to crack with a lot of features to configure.

Reply Score: 0

pretty obvious
by kaiwai on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 07:32 UTC
kaiwai
Member since:
2005-07-06

Windowsvista.us is registered; talks about creating a community like how the opensource has one; free express versions of their development software; new software made available for only those with the 'verified' legal versions of Windows XP.

All it sounds like is a way of collating all this together on a site dedicated to Windows - most likely user orientated etc.

Reply Score: 1

naming
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 07:38 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Windows NT ment "nice try" and now Windows Vista will become the "Hasta la Vista" OS.

Reply Score: 0

Re: naming
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 07:49 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

No No!
Windows NT meant "The Unix killer!"
Now, "Windows Vista" means, "Hasta la vista, Windows" LOL

Reply Score: 0

It will sure be fun!
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 08:03 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Because "vista" means "hen" in Latvian... ;)

Reply Score: 0

VISTA like ASTA LA VISTA, BILLY G.?
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 08:08 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

That would be cool.
;-))

Reply Score: 0

Well...
by Budd on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 08:22 UTC
Budd
Member since:
2005-07-08

As I said previously,if (and only if) Vista/Longhorn will run flawless on my hardware I might bother to install a pirated copy. Otherwise I'll stay with my perfectly legal XP for a long time. That,of course,until I will buy the new Macs

Reply Score: 1

They registered many more domains...
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 08:24 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

windowsvista.de, windowsvista.fr windowsvista.it, etc...

Reply Score: 0

Windows Vista
by Yomama on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 08:25 UTC
Yomama
Member since:
2005-07-21

I guess this is personal opinion. The fact is I NEED to get my work done.
Doesn't matter if it is Vista, Bla or Bla Bla. I don't think you can judge an OS on a name. Personally I hate the name Zeta. But underneath is a wonderfull OS. So lets get this Vista OS released first. Get some stats on how it performs and then we can start bitching.

Reply Score: 1

longhorn, vista, whatever...
by rx182 on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 08:54 UTC
rx182
Member since:
2005-07-08

i laught so much everyday when i see all the ms-haters posting under microsoft threads.

half of the ms-haters in here are using windows atm and never used macosx but still try to sound cool by saying "anyway, i will buy a mac soon". most of you will never get a mac, and the few ones that will really buy one will go back to windows within a week or so. honestly, go try it before making such comments.

the rest of the ms-haters are just usual linux fanatics that would never miss an opportunity to hit on microsoft. they always come up with the same thing: security.

dont get me wrong but it looks like you didnt get it at all. if theres so many security issues on windows its mainly because windows has a large userbase regrouping all kind of people, including all the uber-newbies like your mom. well, ive nothing against your mom but don't blame microsoft if her computer is full of spywares/adwares/viruses/ect.

the same thing would happen to linux if it was used as much as windows. see, most software installations under linux are done as root. its still true with very secure dist. like debian. so just imagine for a second that linux is the #1 os and your mom is using it. spyware companies (and the others) could easily create packages that contain junk stuff and your mom would install it blindy like she would do with normal packages. and it would be even easier to create resident programs for linux...

it could be even worst...im sure that if linux was the #1 os someone could just put up a website with a nice banner: run "rm -rf /" to get 1000 free wallpapers! and im sure 50% of the uber-newbie people would do it without thinking a second. it could be like that with almost everything. linux is as much vunerable as windows, and even worst. you dont have to make complicated resident programs for linux and you can easily become "root" without making a complicated trojan.

well, thats just my opinion. i dont want to start a flamewar but i think some of you should think a little bit more before hitting on microsoft over and over again...its not funny anymore...it used to be like 10 years ago :|

btw, i have nothing against mac, linux, and all the others. i think they are all nice... it wasnt a pro-microsoft post either... just some thoughts...

Reply Score: 3

RE: longhorn, vista, whatever...
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 09:34 UTC in reply to "longhorn, vista, whatever..."
Anonymous Member since:
---

if theres so many security issues on windows its mainly because windows has a large userbase regrouping all kind of people, including all the uber-newbies like your mom. well, ive nothing against your mom but don't blame microsoft if her computer is full of spywares/adwares/viruses/ect.

I though windows was so easy to use noobs could use it without problems, even my mom. Perhaps that was not the case and they've been lying to us all the way? Who knows, it might be windows is not ready for the desktop.

Reply Score: 1

RE[2]: longhorn, vista, whatever...
by rx182 on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 10:01 UTC in reply to "RE: longhorn, vista, whatever..."
rx182 Member since:
2005-07-08

if windows isnt ready for the desktop atm, then linux will _never_ be ready for the desktop. linux is so many years behind windows and osx when it comes to desktop. just stop being ignorant and accept it.

and btw, your comment was so unrelated... its like saying "the porshes arent good cars because some people still crash em into the walls!" its just plain stupid to rate something according to its userbase. ive been honestly using windows since v3.11 and i never had a single _major_ problem. believe me or not, i never got a virus (yes i always had an anti-virus but it never detected a single virus that already infected my comp). i think i got 2 files with virus in my whole life but i didnt trust those files anyway and i sure scanned em before doing anything else. i never got spywares/adwares/ect. as well. i still dont understand why people get those... plain ignorance? and about security problems related to windows itself... never had problem there as well. maybe i was just intelligent enought to apply the few patches that were released? just like i did with my linux box? and about boot time increasing after a while...never happened to me...maybe im not dumb enought to install bogus software? some people blame windows but use products tagged "symantec/norton" without complaining? that doesnt make much sense.

windows is one beautiful os. its very reliable when you have minimum knowledges about computers. its nicely designed, easy to rescue, it provides a good sytem-wide api that you can actually use without having to use simplified layers (api wrappers), ect.

no, windows is not perfect. but nothing is perfect. but windows is really good for desktop. blindly denying it is just wrong. and hating windows because of microsoft is not nice as well. dont hate it because youre a computer-communist. you know, communism always failed...

Reply Score: 0

Anonymous Member since:
---

No, the problem is I find pretty hypocrital to say "Linux is not ready for the desktop" because Mom and Dad don't know how to use it when the fact is Mom and Dad don't know how to keep windows running either, you've said that yourself. Where is the difference then?

BTW, never had a problem with security in Windows myself. But I don't know a single average user who hasn't.

Reply Score: 1

rx182 Member since:
2005-07-08

Well I never said Linux was not ready for the desktop...I just made a comparaison. But that's what I think if you really want to know...because its not enought polished and not really supported by hardware vendors. While mom doesn't know how to properly use windows and linux (sorry mom), she will probably be able to install a webcam after a while under windows...but she would probably never succeed under linux for many reasons (no drivers, command-line installation, cfg files tweaking, ect.)

and like you said, you never had security problems under windows yourself. i do the same. another proof that windows isnt all to blame. maybe computers should only be used by people like us? ;-) again, thats what i believe as well. sure my mom has good reasons to use office at work but she has no good reason to actually surf the web blindy and install everything that catch her attention like new msn emoticons that are bundled with 10 newly developed spywares.

mom, i still love you know? :

Reply Score: 1

Anonymous Member since:
---

While mom doesn't know how to properly use windows and linux (sorry mom), she will probably be able to install a webcam after a while under windows...but she would probably never succeed under linux for many reasons (no drivers, command-line installation, cfg files tweaking, ect.)

Well i think you are wrong. I installed a webcam in Ubuntu once. I plugged it in and then opened gnome-meeting. It worked automatically without me doing anything.

In windows on the other hand there is specialized third party software for each individual product. A royal pain in the ass to install and use since every vendor has their own idea of what usability is.

Reply Score: 0

Anonymous Member since:
---

You are first one who brings word "linux" to these comments.

Reply Score: 0

nny_ Member since:
2005-07-16

> if windows isnt ready for the desktop atm, then linux will _never_ be ready for the desktop.
> linux is so many years behind windows and osx when it comes to desktop.
> just stop being ignorant and accept it.

to say that something will _never_ happen, is itself ignorant.

on a side note... i _only_ use linux... gentoo more specifically...

i have a dual lcd setup... running two instances of blackbox... which is a light weight window manager...

when i still used windows, i could not have done this... windows 2000 did not support dual independent displays... all it would do is extend the desktop... which is _not_ what i wanted... (gaming would display to _both_ screens, and thats not what i wanted... which is why independent displays is better)

on linux, everything works great, i enjoy coding/web browsing/gaming/etc... linux is great for the desktop...

yes, i even game on linux...

> hating windows because of microsoft is not nice as well. dont hate it because youre
> a computer-communist. you know, communism always failed...

to call someone a communist just because their views are different is just stupid...

trying to call someone something that people find wrong/evil/whatever, like calling someone a nazi, is stupid because you are trying to associate them with something people dont like, just to make _you_ look right...

i wont use windows, because it does not work for what i want it to do... i can do more with linux... you may not care, but that doesnt mean linux isnt ready for the desktop... because i know _alot_ of people using linux only...

ps. i believe dual independent display support is in windows xp... but i do not know for sure... since i have never used it...

-nny

Reply Score: 1

rx182 Member since:
2005-07-08

ps. i believe dual independent display support is in windows xp... but i do not know for sure... since i have never used it...

yeah that works on xp, and hmm, im sure theres a workaround to get it working on 2k...anyway, youre using gentoo...u should be uber-good at fixing stuff by hand? :]

Reply Score: 1

Anonymous Member since:
---

I don't care what kind of user you are - it's pathetic when installing W2K then DL'ing the necessary updates that I should get a virus in the process... It's a joke.

Reply Score: 0

RE: longhorn, vista, whatever...
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 13:15 UTC in reply to "longhorn, vista, whatever..."
Anonymous Member since:
---

Where you are right: Yes, I am currently replying to your comments on my Windows 2000 workstation (@ Work). I am a Systems Administrator and I fix Windows computer for a living. Now where you are wrong: Not only do I own a Mac but I own two of them an iMac and a PowerBook and as much as I like Windows it is NOT Mac OS X. I like Windows I really do but I LOVE the Mac OS. To be perfectly honest if not for Mac OS X I would have never considered make “the switch”. But now that I’m on the other side, I hope and my hope is sincere that Microsoft delivers on Longhorn. That being said, if they don’t just blow my sock off, I will keep making a good living fixing WinTel computers but as for me and my house we will use Macintosh computers. My $.02!

Reply Score: 0

RE: longhorn, vista, whatever...
by fsck on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 15:19 UTC in reply to "longhorn, vista, whatever..."
fsck Member since:
2005-07-06

-------------------------------------------------------
if theres so many security issues on windows its mainly because windows has a large userbase regrouping all kind of people, including all the uber-newbies like your mom. well, ive nothing against your mom but don't blame microsoft if her computer is full of spywares/adwares/viruses/ect.
-------------------------------------------------------
She wouldn't have permission to install such software on linux, that would just be silly and even if she did she'd be installing signed packages through a package manager NOT unsigned "rogue" applications from god-knows-where

-------------------------------------------------------
it could be even worst...im sure that if linux was
the #1 os someone could just put up a website with
a nice banner:
run "rm -rf /" to get 1000 free wallpapers!
and im sure 50% of the uber-newbie people would do
it without thinking a second.
-------------------------------------------------------
Again she wouldn't be running as root and even if she had access to the root account which is a moot point anyway as she has the common sense not to just do what something/someone tells her to do.

Reply Score: 2

RE: longhorn, vista, whatever...
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 16:49 UTC in reply to "longhorn, vista, whatever..."
Anonymous Member since:
---

"dont get me wrong but it looks like you didnt get it at all. if theres so many security issues on windows its mainly because windows has a large userbase regrouping all kind of people, including all the uber-newbies like your mom. well, ive nothing against your mom but don't blame microsoft if her computer is full of spywares/adwares/viruses/ect."

I disagree. A large user base does not seem like a good excuse for bad security measures to me...

Reply Score: 0

RE[2]: longhorn, vista, whatever...
by ma_d on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 18:10 UTC in reply to "RE: longhorn, vista, whatever..."
ma_d Member since:
2005-06-29

I'd call it a combination of things. Microsoft has had some very bad remote exploits in NT; however they've usually fixed them in a very timely manner. The problem is that 99% of people don't run updates in a timely manner; and until SP2 it didn't run them for them (and even with SP2 you have to voluntarily reboot).

He's not trying to argue that its popularity is what makes it a target, that's a load and we all know it (3% of the computers in the world is more than enough to DDOS most sites, especially smalltime gambling sites).

He's saying that Windows suffers from stupid users: And this is entirely true. But I don't think he's considered whose fault their stupidity is.

I've never been one to try and give people a cop-out for their own ignorance, but computers are a very new technology to most people and some ignorance is to be expected: Microsoft has been big on encouraging ignorance. Just the other day Taylor was talking about shifting a server from (I think) file server to a media server with "5 easy clicks." Most server admins will have the immediate idea pop in their heads: If you don't know what that change involves, how will you fix it when something goes wrong. Microsoft has always been about making computing easier to make it accessible.

I think many people believe that's admirable, and to some extent it really is. But I think in the user and small-time admin world (not developer world, or professional admin) Microsoft has failed to do the other part of making computing accessible: Lay-man documentation for tasks. Their help files are pretty good, but there's no depth. If you want depth you're expected to take classes, or perform the amazing feat of finding useful books (amongst all the dummy books).

Anyway, that's all kind of off-topic.

Reply Score: 2

RE: longhorn, vista, whatever...
by Morgul on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 17:57 UTC in reply to "longhorn, vista, whatever..."
Morgul Member since:
2005-07-06

Ok, first off, let me just say that I'm in linux right now, and I have used a mac, and as soon as I finish saving up the money, I'm buying a power book to replace my aging HP laptop. I am a linux fanboy... but one who backs up his opinions. So, let me gently point out where you missed the boat.

Yes, linux users have a bad habit of pointing out security. Yes it's a major point, but that's one out of many. However, since you responded to that, I will too.

You said that "the same thing would happen to linux if it was used as much as windows. see, most software installations under linux are done as root." It seems you've missed the point of the 'root' user. Root is basically the god account. Yes, most software is installed as root, however, that is simply because a user should not be installing anything that requires root access to the system. Most programs (like firefox, oppen office, etc.) can be installed as a normal user... but only *for* that user.

Even if linux was the #1 OS, it wouldn't have many viruses written for it, because you simply because there is no way to get it to run as root, without the user doing so. That would mean the know the root password. If they choose to do it, you're right, they would be the ones to blame. However, here we see the flaw in your logic. What would happen today, if you wrote a small program to format a HD, and passed it off as a wallpaper downloader? It would need no connection to the internet, or not malicious code whatso ever. It wouldn't be a virus, or anything. Put a link to it in a web banner, and I bet you that 500,000 people (windows users) would wipe thier computers in the first few hours. That is the equivalent of the "rm -rf /" comment. Except it's WORSE with windows, since everyone has privledges to run programs like that. In Linux, you wouldn't be able to do that. (unless you were root.)

So, yes, Linux is more secure than windows, as far as user permissions. Yes, both OS's would suffer from newbies, but that wouldn't being the level fo criticism down on either os that is there for windows. Windows has legitimiate problems... ones MS doesn't want to look at. Honestly, if windows switched to an open source unix based kernel (like mac did) and unix style permissions (think OSX, not linux) chances are I'd have no real use for linux. Keep eveyrthing else the same... it wouldn't have half the viruses, and spyware it has now. They aren't simple changes either.. mac scrapped OS classic and wrote OSX from the ground up. (Well, NeXT did.) However, if windows were to start *now* and release it as thier next version (after vista) I bet they would save thier reputation, and be praised. I'd *LOVE* to see that... seeing as how I think windows is pretty damned intuitive, and useful, minus spyware, and other issues that plague it. It's kinda like having a very good chocolate bar, with a backing soda aftertaste. Remove the aftertaste (which will take a lot of work) and people will like it much better than the 'sour apple lollypop' or the 'caramel chew' that's the alternative.

However, that's just my opinion. It really is a shame to see good work go into something that has a rotten core... I hope, and pray I'mm wrong.

Reply Score: 2

RE[2]: longhorn, vista, whatever...
by Tom K on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 18:05 UTC in reply to "RE: longhorn, vista, whatever..."
Tom K Member since:
2005-07-06

Those are very good points, and I'm glad to see a Linux user backing up his claims with some real knowledge. However, I have to disagree about this point:

Even if linux was the #1 OS, it wouldn't have many viruses written for it, because you simply because there is no way to get it to run as root, without the user doing so.

That is simply not true. Linux has suffered from many local and remote root exploits in the past, and many more will come. I watched a friend of mine gain root on a server in a popular webhost's server farm, merely through using some easily-available exploit code, compiling it, and running it. He then saw himself sitting at a root shell prompt.

Reply Score: 5

Morgul Member since:
2005-07-06

Very true. I left the discussion of these out, because, honestly, I don't have much knowledge of these, and I know that they differ from distro to distro... and *most* have fixes for them....

Plus, from the little knowledge I have, most of the root exploits involve specific programs... and imho those aren't problems with the OS. They're programs with the programs. (Just like IE issues are 80% IE's fault... not Windows fault.... Then again IE is intigrated into windows in a very large way, so it's difficult to seperate out where the 'problem' is.)

Again, my own two cents.

Reply Score: 1

archiesteel Member since:
2005-07-02

That is a problem with a program, not Linux itself. Meanwhile, shall we talk about the fact that you can make a file executable in Windows simply by giving it the .exe, .bat, .vbs, etc. extensions?

Windows has suffered from many local and remote root exploits as well - I've personally had to help many a friend and family member get rid of spyware and viruses. I've even had to reinstall Windows a couple of times because the PCs were so compromised that there was nothing else to do. The truth is that I've spent much more time cleaning friends and family member's Windows PC than I've ever did on Linux security issues - by an order of magnitude!

Sure, Linux vulnerabilities exist as well, but they are nowhere near as severe or costly as those in Windows. FYI: Windows malware issues have cost upwards of 160 BILLION dollars in 2004. That's not something you can sweep under the rug with a little bit of FUD...

Reply Score: 1

Vista = Micro$oft?
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 09:28 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

A. Vis·ta P Pronunciation Key (vst)

An unincorporated community of southern California north of San Diego. It is a resort and agricultural area. Population: 71,872.

B. VISTA P Pronunciation Key (vst)
abbr.
Volunteers In Service To America.

C. vis·ta P Pronunciation Key (vst)
n.
A distant view or prospect, especially one seen through an opening, as between rows of buildings or trees.
An avenue or other passage affording such a view.
An awareness of a range of time, events, or subjects; a broad mental view: “the deep and sweeping vistas these pioneering critics opened up” (Arthur C. Danto).

D. vista

n : the visual percept of a region; "the most desirable feature of the park are the beautiful views" [syn: view, aspect, prospect, scene, panorama]

Reply Score: 0

RE: Vista = Micro$oft?
by Poloso on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 09:39 UTC in reply to "Vista = Micro$oft?"
Poloso Member since:
2005-07-06

Vista means "view" or "sight" in spanish.

Reply Score: 1

RE[2]: Vista = Micro$oft?
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 13:14 UTC in reply to "RE: Vista = Micro$oft?"
Anonymous Member since:
---

Vista means "view" or "sight" in spanish.

The same for portuguese... Actually, I think that this name is "catchy", even if it don't makes me remember of Windows at all. But I'll join the crowd that don't believe that Microsoft would register a domain with a TLD .us for a product which is supposed to be its flagship product. :-)

Reply Score: 0

RE[2]: Vista = Micro$oft?
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 16:38 UTC in reply to "RE: Vista = Micro$oft?"
Anonymous Member since:
---

the same in italian

Reply Score: 0

Time to get a grip?
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 09:28 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

I get rather annoyed watching different camps of users starting flamewar after flamewar to no use. Here's reality, all OS's has their strengths... no wait a minute and think about that for a while, am I wrong? So what's the point of writing the same crap over and over?

Just my 2 cents...

Reply Score: 0

re:RE[4]: longhorn, vista, whatever...
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 11:10 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

maybe computers should only be used by people like us? ;-) again, thats what i believe as well

Well in that case Linux is defenitely ready for the desktop isn't it that true as well?

Reply Score: 0

rx182 Member since:
2005-07-08

that depends... for some people yeah... but for some other people like me, well no.

again, even if all car drivers were good enough to drive a F1 that wouldn't mean that all cars would be good.

everything depends on what people need. for some people, linux would be good enough. but for some other people like me, there would be no good reason to trade the stability of the windows gui for a linux equivalent that wouldn't perform as well. i would never dump windows for xwin+gnome or xwin+kde or xwin+whatever for several reasons.

first, i dont like xwin myself. second, i think that theres no DE/WM that can satisfy my needs. third, from my developer point of view, i think windows save me much more time and effort than linux would. im used to windows developement and i think that working with win32/mfc/.net(mostly winforms) is much more efficient than using some libs like gtk and qt. i trust windows core stuff much more than some libs like gtk and qt and i can always count on backward compatibility under windows without having to provide the libs myself. i think its much more simple to make client applications under windows anyway, since the core stuff is always there (except for .net). i dont have to tell my customers to install gtk/qt/whatever every time. and like i said, i dont have to include it by myself. i also prefer msdn kind of support over anything else. i never get answers like "well, fix it yourself", "just submit a patch then", ect. oh and i couldnt live without proper development tools like visual studio ;) ive so much things to do that i dont have the time to start reading manuals...heh.

oh yeah finally, since windows is still the most used platform...why would i target another much less used platform? a platform supported by people that dont get the idea of commercial software? so it would be too hard to make successfull commercial software for linux anyway. im not really an open source kind of guy. i believe that the open source is good for professional people because they can learn from it and get developement tools for free (well, you can get all dev tools for free under windows as well...). anyway, ten years ago that was the _main_ goal of gnu/linux...

but i dont get the new wave...why would you want the open source to be widely used by non-professional people? what is so great about giving so much stuff for free to the average computer user? i think that the average computer user should pay for all the software he needs because he doesnt work for free as well. and afterall, open source = less job for developers when it comes to the mainstream. i dont want that...

Reply Score: 1

acronim
by k.g.stoyanov on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 11:14 UTC
k.g.stoyanov
Member since:
2005-07-12
Aero @ Vista ?
by timosa on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 11:18 UTC
timosa
Member since:
2005-07-06
Scott McNealy will be highly annoyed
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 11:19 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

He just swore off making one-liners at Microsoft's expense.

"Microsoft is planning to ship Vista... Hast-aaaaaaa CHO! excuse me", commented Mr. McNealy.

Maybe Alta Vista will sue. At least, I'll bet they'll have a few meetings with their lawyers.

Reply Score: 0

Anonymous Member since:
---

Maybe Alta Vista will sue

LOL. I want to see them try! Blood!!

Reply Score: 0

Vista could refer to something else...
by ripper632 on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 12:01 UTC
ripper632
Member since:
2005-06-29

About a month or two ago Microsoft released a beta version of a program that is a decent replacement for the Paint program. It's called code name "Acrylic". Maybe Vista is the final name for that product? If so, it sounds quite appropriate.

See link for more details.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/

Reply Score: 2

v Lack of innovation in Windows
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 12:03 UTC
RE: Lack of innovation in Windows
by rx182 on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 12:17 UTC in reply to "Lack of innovation in Windows"
rx182 Member since:
2005-07-08

youre crazy. backward compatibility is a must. microsoft should never touch it and they wont. even win16 must remain a part of windows for at least another 10 years. win32? 25 years!

if youre just an average user well i assume you always get the latest and the greatest? but thats not possible for everyone. i still rely on some win16 applications...those applications work perfecly so why i would abandon em? that doesnt make much sense.

and hmm, anyway that wouldnt work at all. see, since microsoft released win64 only a few developers adopted it. some low level software like daemon tools arent even working on it and it will take a while to see a win64 version.

anyway, win32 is FAR from being obsolete...its still top shape for at least 25years like i said. it can be so extended that theres no problem letting it in place. can you tell me whats wrong with the windows subsystem anyway? sorry i really dont know ;-)

Reply Score: 1

v RE: Lack of innovation in Windows
by rx182 on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 12:23 UTC in reply to "Lack of innovation in Windows"
Doesn't matter much.
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 12:36 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

The way MS products got on many 'o desk, was trough corporate private PC projects which had stuff pre-installed. In the hope employees would learn: wordperfect, lotus123, db3, etc. on thier own - without further cost - and perhaps even work off hours at home (unpaid?)

Now that some (most?) of those projects have ended, either due "everyone" knowing how to use the basic functions of office software - or the economy gone down hill, or both (idunno), and corporate executives looking to FOSS => MS has a problem.

AFAIK not very meny people go out and buy home computers for any other purpose then entertainment (such as games) for which a Sony PS arguably is the better choise. A "desktop" PC good enough for its intended purpose they already have (or thier neighbors wizkid might install Linux/KDE/OpenOffice for them.)

Reply Score: 0

not a bad name after after all
by ritoldo on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 12:40 UTC
ritoldo
Member since:
2005-07-22

I think that "Longhorn" sounded a little country-western for me. Windows Vista sounds more evolutionary in terms of the previous versions starting with and NT and going forward.

Reply Score: 1

lame
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 12:45 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

LOUD NOISES!!!!


I love lamp.

Reply Score: 0

Never fails
by polaris20 on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 12:50 UTC
polaris20
Member since:
2005-07-06

I'm sorry but Windows has been stagnant since Windows 98. No new features but bloat and more of the same problems since that time period.

In order for Windows to innovate and expand, they must and I emphasis must totally rewrite Windows with all new technology and forget this backward compatibility crap. Windows has been reengineered for today's computers and not use the code base of the past.


While I agree to a certain extent with the second paragraph, the first makes me giggle.

No new features since 98? Have you actually used Windows 2000 or XP? Because if you had, you'd see there's obvious changes.

For one thing 2000/XP doesn't crash like a fat kid jumping into an empty pool, like 98 did.

There's also much more, but you can go to MS's site to find out just as easily as I can posting it here.

To say nothing has changed since 98 is a pretty ignorant statement.

Reply Score: 1

RE: Never fails
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 14:18 UTC in reply to "Never fails"
Anonymous Member since:
---

Win98 was a good os true. Win2000 was far superior to Win98 in every way. However since Win2k, not much has changed except that XP does multimedia a bit better than Win2k. Win98 was the last great consumer OS, Win2k the last great business OS.

Windows Vista better prove itself to me in order to justify upgrading. I just don't see that happening

Reply Score: 0

Is the average posters age 12?
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 13:17 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

It seems that no matter when I browse through osnews I see the same sad pathetic flames about Windows/Linux. The peurile comments like "Windows sucks, no Linux does" overtakes most postings. I gave up on this kind of thing when I was a kid so must assume there's a load of kiddies on here. Does it even matter what OS is better (a subjective view at best) etc.?

If your world is consumed so much by hatred for a specific OS of all things I think you should get out more into the real world where most people would view these rants as distinctly odd and of zero importance. Guess what, most people really, really, really don't care about Windows V Linux. It's either a hobby to the people on here or it's their livelihood, either way they'll pick the OS that suits them. I never hear about people arguing with such vehemence about which of their tumble driers etc is better. Grow up. *sheesh*

Reply Score: 3

RE: Is the average posters age 12?
by Anonymous on Sat 23rd Jul 2005 06:17 UTC in reply to "Is the average posters age 12?"
Anonymous Member since:
---

I don't think you'll get a better tumble drier than a Hoover

Reply Score: 0

initial shock
by JrezIN on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 13:22 UTC
JrezIN
Member since:
2005-06-29

I'm sure it sounds odd for Portuguese and Spanish speakers (and maybe other languages with latim roots), but after the initial shock, I'll probably get used to it (the same strange feeling happen when Whitler became "Windows XP", and now looks very common...).

Also, as pointed before, Vista's meaning has a lot related to Aero.

Besides that... nothing has changed from yesterday... it's just the name, the OS continues in development and nothing new about it has been said.
I don't too much to discuss here...

Reply Score: 1

www.astalavista.com
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 13:29 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Anyone remember that old Warez site back in the day http://www.astalavista.com. What irony that the most pirated piece of software choose the title name similar to a Warez site.

Reply Score: 0

astalavista.box.sk
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 13:31 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Anyone remember that old Warez site back in the day http://astalavista.box.sk. What irony that the most pirated piece of software choose the title name similar to a Warez site.

(Sorry got the URL wrong the first post)

Reply Score: 0

What's in a name?
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 13:52 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

This reminds me too much of an episode of the Dilbert Animated Series, where they have to submit a name for their product (which they haven't even designed) to some VP. They select two names: One that they like (acorn) and one that they don't (some disease name). The VP that has the decision was traumatized as a child and was called "acorn" as a tease by his own parents!!! Needless to say, he picked the disease name!!! Same here... Somehow I think this is the name the product development guys did NOT want but got stuck with!!!

Reply Score: 0

Here is your fxxx synopsys.
by Tanner on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 14:10 UTC
Tanner
Member since:
2005-07-06

In Italian, "vista" means "sight".
Microsoft Windows *Sight*.

I have bad *vista* then i bought a pair of looking glasses. LOL

Reply Score: 1

Best view....
by vasper on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 14:17 UTC
vasper
Member since:
2005-07-22

I see dead bugs...

Reply Score: 1

I love the name "windows longhorn"
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 14:41 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Sincerily I think microsoft would have much more sucess with the name "windows longhorn" and I think it will be cool to have a longhorn bitmap in the boot process:=) but "windows vista" is not a bad name...

Reply Score: 0

Windows TURD
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 15:11 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Even if the next version of Windows could give me an instant orgasm and cure cancer, I'd never use it.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice . . .

Reply Score: 0

Wha?
by ma_d on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 15:18 UTC
ma_d
Member since:
2005-06-29

They went from a cool name like Longhorn to something totally stupid? That's what happens when you have a marketing team....

Reply Score: 1

v New (un)official name for Longhorn
by quux on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 15:44 UTC
Confirmed by Microsoft!
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 15:49 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---
promotion
by hima on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 15:53 UTC
hima
Member since:
2005-07-22

MS' promotion for Win Vista is characteristicly MS-goofy. Did you check out the introduction video on the promotion site? Very early 90's technofuturistic and tacky at the same time. ;-)

Also, strange that www.windowsvista.com won't lead anywhere. It'd be a fair guess that MS has pinned that one down alreay, though.

Reply Score: 1

Anonymous
Member since:
---

But I eventually got used to it. Now, it doesn't even seem strange to me. Sort of like the 'Nintendo Gamecube' - I could only wondering what they were smoking when they came up with that name, but now it just seems like any other name.

Reply Score: 0

Anonymous
Member since:
---

Vista has been doing some weird weird crap from a business perspective. They'll probably "sell the domain name" for a big kick back.

http://www.google.com/search?oi=stock&q=stocks:SCOX&prev=/search~*~...

Reply Score: 0

no X in the name?
by Captain N. on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 16:11 UTC
Captain N.
Member since:
2005-07-07

Xs are cool! Didn't IBM have a home computer called the Bueno Vista or something that they sold through Radio Shack. I can still picture the ugly dusty black cases - bleh!

Oh well, I guess we'll get used to it.

Reply Score: 1

Anonymous
Member since:
---

That link was no good. Read message: 264194 on yahoo scox board

Reply Score: 0

vista?
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 16:15 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

I think the name, typical of Microsoft, sounds pretty stupid. Who thinks these things up?

Also the wording on their official page sound very ameteur.

Reply Score: 0

Focus on Mac OS X Spotlight
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 16:21 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

"So you can cut through the clutter and focus on what's important to you"
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx)

It seems that Microsoft is again mimic Apple: just look at the new Vista icon wich rensembles the "X" of Tiger spotlighted at the center. And the title of the last paragraph, "Introducing...", typical by Apple.

Probably they also wanted to similarly suggest the roman "sixth" version number, "VI..."

Reply Score: 0

Finally...
by archiesteel on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 16:27 UTC
archiesteel
Member since:
2005-07-02

...people are going to stop making fun of Mandrake's name change!

Seriously, I can't believe that they settled on this. It is not a very good name for an OS, doesn't roll well off the tongue (try saying "Windows Vista" very fast 10 times in a row) and doesn't really fit with any "technology" angle.

To me it's just poor marketing.

Reply Score: 1

Stupid name...
by BlackTiger on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 16:29 UTC
BlackTiger
Member since:
2005-07-22

So so so so stupid stupid stupid foolish name.

Sorry, but only "Hasta la vista, MS", "hasta la vista, Windows". Are they idiots?!?!?!?

(from old russian animation movie) "as you will name a boat, so it and will float"

"long live microsoft"?...

Reply Score: 1

Vista Pro
by Cymro on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 16:33 UTC
Cymro
Member since:
2005-07-07

There's already a piece of software called Vista - for the Amiga originally. It's called Vista Pro now - but presumably there will be a "Windows Vista Professional" too...

http://www.andromedasoftware.com/cd213.htm

Reply Score: 1

Vis(t)a=mastercard?
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 16:42 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Looks like the name of some creditcard company.

Reply Score: 0

RE: Vista Pro
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 16:54 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

An OpenSource HIS (healthcare information sysytem) goes by the name of VistA :
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/02/1420242
http://sourceforge.net/projects/worldvista

Reply Score: 0

bah
by Brad on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 16:55 UTC
Brad
Member since:
2005-07-06

I hope this is just a new codename, or maybe a overall name for a new family like (NT, 9x) maybe all windows products based off Longhorn will be the vista family.

I was really hoping it would be called MS Windows 6.0 or MS Windows 2006. (in a way it still will be). I rather like the year naming scheme, but actual versions are nice too. Random names, not so nice. Never expected them to go to such an odd name.

Reply Score: 1

Security measures
by Tom K on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 16:55 UTC
Tom K
Member since:
2005-07-06

Windows has had the ability to create and use non-priviledged accounts for *ages*. It is the fault of software developers designing software to only work with the Administrator account which leads to a f***ed up Windows installations. Longhorn (err, Vista) is making huge changes here -- Microsoft is really going to be pushing non-Admin accounts.

Like someone else said, installing turd software on *any* OS as a priviledged user will lead to destruction and chaos. This isn't a Windows-specific issue. It's a computer security + user + developer issue.

Reply Score: 0

What a Vista!
by pythonhacker on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 17:14 UTC
pythonhacker
Member since:
2005-07-07

Well, Vista has another meaning.

From thesaurus.com,

Definition: perspective

Synonyms: angle, bearing, direction, facet, feature, *gimmick*, hand, outlook, perspective, phase, position, prospect, regard, scene, side, situation, slant, switch, twist, view, Vista.

I have a strong feeling that Windows Vista actually
means "Windows gimmick" :-)

Reply Score: 1

RE: Security measures
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 17:21 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

No matter what "security" (from whom?) measures/features they push, solong as they donot provide full source (as in: buildable to get the same bit-by-bit objectcode as the binaries they provide) there cannot be any security in using thier products.

Reply Score: 0

RE[2]: Security measures
by Tom K on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 17:23 UTC in reply to "RE: Security measures"
Tom K Member since:
2005-07-06

Open-source doesn't automatically imply security. Take a look at the Linux kernel vulnerability list for 2005 alone. Contrast that to vulnerability list for the Windows kernel. I believe it's about 80 to 1? Now let's add the entire operating system around that, and you're probably at about 450 to 80.

Reply Score: 2

re:RE[2]: Security measures
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 17:31 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Open-source doesn't automatically imply security. Take a look at the Linux kernel vulnerability list for 2005 alone. Contrast that to vulnerability list for the Windows kernel. I believe it's about 80 to 1? Now let's add the entire operating system around that, and you're probably at about 450 to 80.

While i don't agree with you on the numbers i have to ask you.
How many of them where remote vulnerabillities?

Reply Score: 1

RE: re:RE[3]: Security measures
by Tom K on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 17:42 UTC in reply to "re:RE[2]: Security measures"
Tom K Member since:
2005-07-06

Secunia.com
SecurityFocus.com

Linux: http://www.securityfocus.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?o=0&l=30&c=12&op=dis...
Windows XP: http://www.securityfocus.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?o=0&l=30&c=12&op=dis...

7 pages of listings vs. 2 pages. And to be fair, I'm comparing the Linux *kernel* to the entire *Windows operating system*.

Reply Score: 1

pythonhacker Member since:
2005-07-07

Don't push that piece of shitty argument on my face you troll!

Did you bother to actually select the version of Linux kernel? You didn't! Your link has the "&version=" part
blank.

Try this, for doing some real comparison of Windows XP SP2 versus Linux kernel 2.6.12.1 (latest).

Linux: http://www.securityfocus.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?o=0&l=30&c=12&op=dis...

Windoze:
http://www.securityfocus.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?o=0&l=30&c=12&op=dis...

Now tell me how many pages you find for linux vs Windoze?

Well, on my browser it shows 0 versus 2. It says "No vulnerabilities found" for Linux.

Will someone get this idiot out of osnews?

Reply Score: 0

RE[2]: re:RE[4]: Security measures
by ma_d on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 18:14 UTC in reply to "RE: re:RE[3]: Security measures"
ma_d Member since:
2005-06-29

That's not fair. If you want a fair comparison why don't you compare a distributed linux kernel to a distributed Windows kernel. The nature of the Linux kernel is not stable and secure in its vanilla form; this is one reason distributions formed as early as 1993.

Reply Score: 1

pythonhacker Member since:
2005-07-07

Hey, he did not select a version for the Linux kernel. That is why it is showing all that pages. Cuz when you do that it selects the base version that must be pretty old.

Read my reply to his obvious troll.

Reply Score: 0

RE[4]: re:RE[6]: Security measures
by Tom K on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 21:01 UTC in reply to "RE[3]: re:RE[5]: Security measures"
Tom K Member since:
2005-07-06

Settle down, now. How about we compare kernel version 2.6.9 (Fedora Core 3 stock) to XP SP2 then? Two pages vs. two pages. That's still unacceptable.

Sure, you can pick the very latest kernel in the list, and say "See? No vulnerabilities", but hey ... in that case, compare it to a list of the vulnerabilities in a version of XP SP2 with all of the latest updates applied, which is *equivalent* to the latest kernel released. You'll get 0 vs. 0. That doesn't prove any points.

What it does prove is that there are more discovered vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel alone than there are in all of XP. Take it at face value, and don't cry, or else I'll have to call the Richard Stallman Whaaambulance for you.

Reply Score: 0

boring...........
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 17:37 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

See the picture on MS's site, the two people looking afar off toward 2006 for the "NeXt" Windows.

Just Keep Looking!

Spaceboy29

Reply Score: 0

RE[3]: Security measures
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 17:40 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Well i'm not necessarily saying "Open-source" implys security. In fact i don't really think it does (it does however save time considerably - and helps). However to have any confidence in the security of anything, one needs to be able and analyze its workings thoroughly. Good luck with that. Historically vendors _did_ provide source to thier costumers for *that* very purpose...

Reply Score: 1

What about Windows itself?
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 17:44 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

It's already named Windows for god sake! It could very well be Doors Porta now...

Reply Score: 0

names
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 18:01 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

I miss good ol' version numbers.

Reply Score: 0

Version numbers / Name
by JrezIN on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 18:06 UTC
JrezIN
Member since:
2005-06-29

Someone from Slashdot noted this:
Windows Vista
Windows VI (roman)
Windows 6.0

Not sure if that was the intention, but still very interesting...

Reply Score: 1

RE: Version numbers / Name
by Bryan on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 18:29 UTC in reply to "Version numbers / Name"
Bryan Member since:
2005-07-11

Actually, I believe Windows Server 2003 is 6.0

Reply Score: 1

RE[2]: Version numbers / Name
by bryhhh on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 18:31 UTC in reply to "RE: Version numbers / Name"
bryhhh Member since:
2005-07-22

Actually, It's 5.2

Reply Score: 1

RE[2]: Version numbers / Name
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 18:34 UTC in reply to "RE: Version numbers / Name"
Anonymous Member since:
---

Windows Vista = Windows NT 6.0, Windows Server 2003 = Windows NT 5.2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

Reply Score: 0

RE[2]: Version numbers / Name
by Bryan on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 18:47 UTC in reply to "RE: Version numbers / Name"
Bryan Member since:
2005-07-11

Ooops. My apologies. I just remembered I have access to an WS'03 machine and it returns 5.2. I must've gotten it confused w. IIS. 6.0 it is then! :-)

Reply Score: 1

*nix is not poo
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 18:08 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Unix does a much better job of sandboxing users. Windows is obsure at best with it's "C:DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGSUSERNAME blah blah garbage garbage" file structure.

Unix is far more logical. Windows is poo.

Reply Score: 0

I'm starting to like it
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 18:23 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Yeah, that's right... at first I thought 'Horrible!' but now I think it's not that bad, and when you look at the promotional site and see that Windows Vista it's not that bad. Now lets hope that the UI has something to do with this..

Reply Score: 0

Finally a full name for windows
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 18:43 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Yep, the seems to be official...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

BTW, although I think the XP name seems kooler, the name Vista, which in Spanish and other Latin derived languages mean "View" seems to make sense.

Heck, if people didn't complain with names like Windows 3.1, Windows 98 and Windows 2000, which mean nothing, I don't think anyone could complain about one that actually adds something to the table, and for a change this one actually makes sense.

Sorry for those of us that are monolingual with no expected change in their primary state. ;) )

The interesting thing about this is if this is a prelude other things to come. That is, will the next version of MS Office will actually have a decent name for a change. For me that'd be something welcomed!

Reply Score: 0

archiesteel Member since:
2005-07-02

A name isn't supposed to make sense, it's supposed to sound cool. Windows XP was a good name, Windows Vista isn't (just like Windows Millenium Edition, or ME, wasn't a good name either).

I think they should have stuck with the year number, people know what it is and it makes sense. Windows Vista is an awful name.

Reply Score: 1

What's in a name?
by Latem on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 18:52 UTC
Latem
Member since:
2005-07-06

"Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."
(Anonymous USEnet post)


to M$ lovers, before you start flaming this post, get a sense of humour first.

Reply Score: 0

floor cleaner.. thanks Ballmer
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 18:54 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Windows Vista? It sounds like the latest P&G detergent or floor cleaner. Maybe they'll stick a "New and Improved!" or "Fresh lemon scent!" sticker on the box.

Seriously, go back to version numbers. Apple has shown you can have the cool "codename" and a viable version number that makes sense. (Yes, I know that there are still version numbers, but they're banned from marketing materials apparently)

Also, how about that "vista" graphic on the MS page? It's like two guys, sitting on a mountain, squinting into the distance to see if they can see a Longhorn release date.. Pretty hilarious

Reply Score: 0

How can they use
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 19:17 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Name "VISTA" is already in use in computer industry. It seems they can find troubles from "www.AltaVista.com" or others: " VISTA is a comprehensive suite of programs and databases for comparative analysis of genomic sequences. There are two ways of using VISTA - you can submit your own sequences and alignments for analysis (VISTA servers) or examine pre-computed whole-genome alignments of different species (VISTA browser).

VISTA Servers "

Reply Score: 0

Professional Edition?
by bryhhh on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 19:45 UTC
bryhhh
Member since:
2005-07-22

Will it be called Vista Pro? Just wondering because there is already a piece of software called that (http://fraktali.849pm.com/programs/dem.html)

Reply Score: 1

v You guys are right.....
by polaris20 on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 19:52 UTC
Beast Ah?
by gonzalo on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 20:39 UTC
gonzalo
Member since:
2005-07-06

Vista does indeed sound too bland after the try-to-sound-edgy-XP and the yeah-Longhorn-baby.

Not saying nothing about Windows in itself, just the names. Vista is not a good name.

Reply Score: 1

re: RE[4]: re:RE[6]: Security measures
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 21:39 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

> How about we compare kernel version 2.6.9 (Fedora
> Core 3 stock) to XP SP2 then?

Why? Does that prove (or validate) any point in an MS-Windows Vista "security" discussion?

> Two pages vs. two pages. That's still unacceptable.

What i think "unacceptable" is being virus infected:
http://www.nha.com/news/archives/msvirx.htm

or trojaned:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/06/30/ms_security_patch_eula_give...

by packages from a vendor who's providing the TCBs for (supposedly in your opinion) sufficiently trustworthy systems!

Reply Score: 0

anomimo
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 23:20 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Vista=sight in spanish

maybe the name is because the new OS have myopia (don't want to see the reality)

Reply Score: 0

v Stupid Wintendo Users
by Anonymous on Fri 22nd Jul 2005 23:22 UTC
As in Vista.....
by Anonymous on Sat 23rd Jul 2005 07:43 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Cruiser?

Reply Score: 0

Regarding the name...
by Anonymous on Sat 23rd Jul 2005 14:06 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Yeah, I know that people are kinda used to the year naming convention, but I still think that Windows Vista is a good name, specially when compared to Longhorn. I mean, Longhorn is a weird name for portuguese speakers...

Let's say that here in Brazil, whenever your wife/fianceé/girlfriend cheats on you, people automatically starts to say that you're wearing some "long horns"... I don't see a brazilian wanting to be associated to such name! :-)

Reply Score: 0

RE[2]: Hasta La Vista
by Anonymous on Sun 24th Jul 2005 12:31 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Windows "view"? You gotta be kidding! (Vista= view in Spanish, for those of you who aren't bilingual)

Reply Score: 0

Vista looking like a MacOSX Tiger
by Anonymous on Sat 30th Jul 2005 14:02 UTC
Anonymous
Member since:
---

Some of the Windows Vista screen images I saw here
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/0,1206,l=&s=26945&a=156757,00.asp

looks like MacOSX Tiger and various KDE and GNOME desktops. Sorry no innovations has taken place from Microsoft.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/
http://www.kde.org/screenshots/
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.0/screenshots/
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=159&slide=1
http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/shots.xml
http://www.lynucs.org/


It is the Open Source that is innovating today. I don't think people will get an Windows Vista upgrade for Windows 98 or Windows NT or Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Windows Vista will be a brand new operating system that will cost millions for governments around the world.

Cost of ownship of having a Microsoft Windows is going to rise further for individuals, education, corporates and governments. There is going to be no support from Microsoft running Windows on computers in future. Already support for Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000 are left to the third party experts and your peers.

See this TCO from Microsoft
www.microsoft.com/ windowsserversystem/facts/topics/tco.mspx

See this from IBM - The Linux at IBM competitive advantage
http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/va_4071.shtml
www-1.ibm.com/linux/RFG-LinuxTCO-vFINAL-Jul2002.pdf

I could not find a single opensource project sponsered by Microsoft. Almost every major software and hardware vendor is supporting opensource. The question is, what is your choice?

Hey, I started like a Mac guy, now I ending like a Open Source Man.

Already my peers are on dual boot. May be you also will switch. Good Day.

Reply Score: 0